82 fxr HELP! before i put a gun to my head..lol

Discussion in 'FXR Models' started by kody, Aug 6, 2010.

1. kody

kody New Member

My son picked up a 82 fxr that has been sitting in a garage for over 10 years he paid almost nothing for it. we drug it home changed the fluids and it started. but i found out the stator is bad but i can get a new one at a local shop. the prob is it will run great but after a few min"s it starts to sputter and dies. the batt has a full charge. it will restart and do the same thing anyone have an idea whats wrong. I have no idea about HD"s

thanks bernard

2. y2kflhr

y2kflhr Active Member

the carb could be clogged up, float bowl sticking......that's where I would start, but a bike thats been sitting for ten years can have a ton of issues

3. kody

kody New Member

carb has been cleaned put a rebuild kit in it. put new points conds plate and mags. but while it was running i puled the fuel line off and it died in 5 seconds. i was thinking it should have run longer than that it the bowl was full of gas? or am i wrong

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Sounds like all you did was charge a 10 year battery. Is that true?

I agree. I would think so also. Almost sounds like you have a float level that is almost Zero. I would expect longer than 5 seconds.

Some of the expert carb guys will chime in I am sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2010
  5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Pull the petcock out of the gas tank (after draining) and check the screen. Is there a fuel filter on the line from petcock and carb? Do you know if your model FXR has a vacuum petcock. Did you change the fuel line or is it 10+yrs old?

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

If it were me I would do the entire fuel system over by cleaning the tank first and the petcock then move on to the carb and ensure it is all clean, then add fresh fuel and go from there. After a long period of not running if you don't go this route, you will only be doing things over again.

7. gs34

gs34 Junior Member

#! in my book...and the cheapest thing you can do....make sure the vent in the fuel cap is open....if it can't vent properly, your symptom is exactly what will happen.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member Contributor

Old gas builds up a film of varnish, Glider is right on the money here, do it once and be happy:s

9. kody

kody New Member

its great now! new line filter and new S&S carb thanks.

10. fisherman124

fisherman124 Active Member

good luck take it slow . the s&S IS A GOOD CARB I HAVE IT ON MY 80 FLT. EASY TO CHANGE THE JETS IF U HAVE TO