free website stats program 82 fxr HELP! before i put a gun to my head..lol | Harley Davidson Forums

82 fxr HELP! before i put a gun to my head..lol

kody

My son picked up a 82 fxr that has been sitting in a garage for over 10 years he paid almost nothing for it. we drug it home changed the fluids and it started. but i found out the stator is bad but i can get a new one at a local shop. the prob is it will run great but after a few min"s it starts to sputter and dies. the batt has a full charge. it will restart and do the same thing anyone have an idea whats wrong. I have no idea about HD"s

thanks bernard

the carb could be clogged up, float bowl sticking......that's where I would start, but a bike thats been sitting for ten years can have a ton of issues

carb has been cleaned put a rebuild kit in it. put new points conds plate and mags. but while it was running i puled the fuel line off and it died in 5 seconds. i was thinking it should have run longer than that it the bowl was full of gas? or am i wrong

we drug it home changed the fluids and it started.

Sounds like all you did was charge a 10 year battery. Is that true?

i was thinking it should have run longer than that it the bowl was full of gas? or am i wrong

I agree. I would think so also. Almost sounds like you have a float level that is almost Zero. I would expect longer than 5 seconds.

Some of the expert carb guys will chime in I am sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pull the petcock out of the gas tank (after draining) and check the screen. Is there a fuel filter on the line from petcock and carb? Do you know if your model FXR has a vacuum petcock. Did you change the fuel line or is it 10+yrs old?

If it were me I would do the entire fuel system over by cleaning the tank first and the petcock then move on to the carb and ensure it is all clean, then add fresh fuel and go from there. After a long period of not running if you don't go this route, you will only be doing things over again.

If it were me I would do the entire fuel system over by cleaning the tank first and the petcock then move on to the carb and ensure it is all clean, then add fresh fuel and go from there. After a long period of not running if you don't go this route, you will only be doing things over again.

#! in my book...and the cheapest thing you can do....make sure the vent in the fuel cap is open....if it can't vent properly, your symptom is exactly what will happen.

Old gas builds up a film of varnish, Glider is right on the money here, do it once and be happy:s

Back