free website stats program 8 degrees F this morning... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

8 degrees F this morning...

I am a riding addict, but I don't have a blatant death wish. Didn't ride yesterday. Thanks for the concern! Digging out HEAVY snow today.

Tracy,
The "yellow helmet" is a rider I commonly see commuting (in the opposite direction from me). Some days the only motorcycle I see is "them" (him or her, I don't know), but I like it because there is someone I see who is just about as addicted to riding as me. I also kinda like not knowing who they are....just waving to each other as we go by....

I am a riding addict, but I don't have a blatant death wish. Didn't ride yesterday. Thanks for the concern! Digging out HEAVY snow today.

Tracy,
The "yellow helmet" is a rider I commonly see commuting (in the opposite direction from me). Some days the only motorcycle I see is "them" (him or her, I don't know), but I like it because there is someone I see who is just about as addicted to riding as me. I also kinda like not knowing who they are....just waving to each other as we go by....

Pretty cool. There are many mornings I ride that I'm the only one on 2 wheels too. It's kinda like a competition (in my mind) to see who's crazier than me.

...and the heated gear works great! (it was 6 degrees F when I got to work) Still can't figure out how to keep my visor from frosting up on the inside.

My personal best was a ride at 0 degrees F. For the state of MD this cold be in the running for the coldest day of the year.

How about you folks a little further west and north? Any cold riders this morning?

55 Here at 7 am, will be in 72 this after noon... :small3d026::small3d026:

I would ride on the sunny days here, but I have to trailer my bike down the drive to the highway.
So I normally just wait until I get a brown trail of gravel I can ride up and down it with.
Usually snows again before that happens.
Stinkin snow :newsmile078::newsmile062:

Man, or You da Man...no words...30*F my personal best with the H-D (no heated gear). With full face helmet (Shoei) I had a Breath Guard fitted which fit over your nose but acted like a curtain to keep the breath below the visor (fitted into the mouth guard liner with Velcro). For the 1/2 helmet, I use the leather with microfiber "It's a Wrap" to cover nose and mouth area and Red Dog goggles over my eyeglasses, no problem -- so far. I have used Anti-Fog wax and it helps for all my eye wear.

I don't mind the colder weather -- but I do mind all the salt and sand they put down. That stuff keeps me off the road. I put my boots down on salt at a stop and almost dropped my bike!

Oh yeah, rock salt might as well be marbles on the road. You have to watch for that...

Good point about moving your feet/hands Smitty. I would go one further and say move your whole leg as well. I almost fell over coming to work one of the first cold mornings. Worked the clutch and the brakes to creep up on a cage making a left, across traffic. As I came to a stop, I went to put my feet down (after 50 minutes of riding) and nothing happened! The bike started to tip to the left. I sent a PANIC message from my brain to my legs and I was just able to get them down and out in time. That was the closest I have ever come to dropping my scoot....sheesh! This was before I had any heated gear. After this event, I would do the "funky chicken" to make sure my limbs worked, approaching a stop.

TSP,
I have Gerbing brand gloves and insoles and an HD "gerbing" jacket liner (snaps into my FXRG jacket perfectly).

It is a balmy 40 degrees here today. Roads are a little wet out from melting snow, but it feels good, the salt is gone and it is warm enough to wash my ultra before tonight.

Porter,

You have the "body, hands, & feet" warmly taken care of, what do you wear on your legs? I generally wear a pair of bib-overalls or chaps. Tracy

Porter,

You have the "body, hands, & feet" warmly taken care of, what do you wear on your legs? I generally wear a pair of bib-overalls or chaps. Tracy

If the temp is below 40F I wear full leather pants (FXRG) and flannel lined jeans. Above 40F I wear chaps and vary my jeans (lined vs. unlined) with the temperature. I never ride without leather on my legs.

Above 70F I wear a "Switch Back" jacket. (My leather FXRG jacket, even with vents open, is just too hot for me with the sun shining and it flaps annoyingly if I unzip it.) It lets me remove the outer layer/windblocker. The inner jacket is mostly a heavy nylon mesh, so the air goes right through. Regardless of the temp, I never ride without a jacket.

Back