free website stats program 79 xl 1000 | Harley Davidson Forums

79 xl 1000

I have a friend who has a 1979 xl 1000. he just had the top end re-done abd said that the bike ran well for a while then all of a sudden it will not start. He checked the coil and there is juice to the coil.

I am curious, does that bike have a stator? What and where is the stator. As far as I know, the stator is a part of the charging system? Any idea's of what this could be???

No expert on Harleys, yet. But I have taken quite a few electronics and electrical classes in my day. A stator motor is like a generator. The rotor spins around the stator producing a magnetic field which creates an electrical current. I think a stator motor is what they used before the introduction of the dc alternator. I'm sure several other more enlightened members will correct me soon enough

I just did a quick search and it looks like '78-79 might have been transitional years for generator/alternator. If it has a generator, and he recently replaced or disconnected the battery, the generator needs to be "flashed" to set charging polarity. If it's an alternator, there's so many possibilities. More info is needed. My knowledge of Ironheads is nil, but I think a generator would be mounted below/front of the front cylinder, with wires going to the regulator which is a small covered box. An alternator would be mounted to the crankshaft on the left side, and wires coming out of the case to the voltage requlator, which is a sealed finned box.

I just did a quick search and it looks like '78-79 might have been transitional years for generator/alternator. If it has a generator, and he recently replaced or disconnected the battery, the generator needs to be "flashed" to set charging polarity. If it's an alternator, there's so many possibilities. More info is needed. My knowledge of Ironheads is nil, but I think a generator would be mounted below/front of the front cylinder, with wires going to the regulator which is a small covered box. An alternator would be mounted to the crankshaft on the left side, and wires coming out of the case to the voltage requlator, which is a sealed finned box.

#1 , the generator needs to be reflashed any time the battery is removed or gone dead, The alternator if applies was a part of the clutch hub

My Son had a 79 Sporster and it was an off breed contankerous motorcycle but it did have a generator first thing you see on the front of the bike usually with a round chrome end. Right off hand I can't remember all that frustration that bike caused but do remember relief when he got rid of it and I didn't have to deal with it anymore. Hopefully your friends runs better.

With the Ironhead Sportsters any timing and running issues I start with the flyweights. They take attention yearly and learning to apply just the right amount of "anti seize" takes some practice.

My Son had a 79 Sporster and it was an off breed contankerous motorcycle but it did have a generator first thing you see on the front of the bike usually with a round chrome end. Right off hand I can't remember all that frustration that bike caused but do remember relief when he got rid of it and I didn't have to deal with it anymore. Hopefully your friends runs better.

LOL, Iron sporties were a challenge but they would run the pants off a big twin all day long stop light to stop light, 4 cams and a long stroke wow, alot of bang for the buck JMO

Back