free website stats program '73 Sportster not starting | Harley Davidson Forums

'73 Sportster not starting

tpolonus

I am a neewbie to the HD Forum, this is my first posting, and I hope to learn a lot from the group and contribute when I can. My situation today concerns my '73 sportster. My previously fine running bike started recently to run raggedy, stranding me a couple of times. When I replaced the spark plugs it would run a bit (enough to get me home), but, eventually would cough, sputter, and die. Currently, the symptoms are that the bike, if left for a few hours, will start right up and run strong for a few minutes, then die out. I have replaced spark plugs, pulled off and checked the S&S Super B carb, checked the fuel flow throughout the Pingel filter, and changed out the gas in the tank. All to no avail. I am certainly no mechanic, but I have done my share of wrenching on various bikes, and this one has me perplexed. Any thoughts? Thanks, Terry P

Thanks for the replies. I have checked for spark and am getting yellow/blue spark from a fully charged battery. Also, the bike has an electronic ignition, not points.

Back