'73 Sportster not starting

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by tpolonus, Jun 15, 2015.

1. tpolonus

tpolonus New Member

I am a neewbie to the HD Forum, this is my first posting, and I hope to learn a lot from the group and contribute when I can. My situation today concerns my '73 sportster. My previously fine running bike started recently to run raggedy, stranding me a couple of times. When I replaced the spark plugs it would run a bit (enough to get me home), but, eventually would cough, sputter, and die. Currently, the symptoms are that the bike, if left for a few hours, will start right up and run strong for a few minutes, then die out. I have replaced spark plugs, pulled off and checked the S&S Super B carb, checked the fuel flow throughout the Pingel filter, and changed out the gas in the tank. All to no avail. I am certainly no mechanic, but I have done my share of wrenching on various bikes, and this one has me perplexed. Any thoughts? Thanks, Terry P

2. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

Check to see if you are getting spark after its warmed up and dies.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

What ignition do you have STOCK?

4. tpolonus

tpolonus New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have checked for spark and am getting yellow/blue spark from a fully charged battery. Also, the bike has an electronic ignition, not points.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member