free website stats program $ 7 dollar fix to a $700 expense. Please learn from my mistake!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

$ 7 dollar fix to a $700 expense. Please learn from my mistake!!

I havent had a problem and I take mine off everytime I clean the bike

EXCELLENT POINT!

(I think I'm going to start shopping for a new seat at our local biker bar. NOT! :s )

In all seriousness, guys....and maybe Glider will know the answer to this...IS there a "security measure" to prevent some low-life thief with a screwdriver from stealing our seats in under 20 seconds, as is certainly possible???

This issue that has been raised is absolutely worth a thread of it's own, as mentioned, but let's just answer it right here and now!

Any ideas???

You can install a chicken strap,they bolt onto your bag mounts,if you want one I will give it to you.It was stock on my bike and I took it off because I didn't like it

I always make it a habit to park my bike in plain view from where I'm sitting. If I cant do that. I go some wheres else. I even had a friend ask why I bother to lock my steering. that I'm only in the store for a pack of smokes. I had a bike stolen way back. I just do what works for me. Hard bags are easy to steal with stock mounts. And you know darn well if a guy is walking with a complete bag at a swap meet. Its very unlikely that he'll be questioned about it.

RJ

I've had hard bags for sometime now and the only time I've had a problem is when I didn't place the pin correctly etc.. However, changing them out to something more secure so someone with a screw driver can't just steal your bags is a good thing. I replaced mine some time ago when there were a few that got their bags stolen. . with someone that had a screw driver or similar device. My setup is simular to the pic.

Anyway, to each their own I always say. Also, concerning the seat, I found a screw that uses a screwdriver that uses a square end. Not too many walking around with one of those! Found at a store that carries nothing but screws, bolts, nuts etc...
Ugly John

In all seriousness, guys....and maybe Glider will know the answer to this...IS there a "security measure" to prevent some low-life thief with a screwdriver from stealing our seats in under 20 seconds, as is certainly possible???

This issue that has been raised is absolutely worth a thread of it's own, as mentioned, but let's just answer it right here and now!

Any ideas???

I feel like this comes under the thread I started about locking detachables and was pretty well hashed out there.

I had 1 of my pins spread apart, I had under 1000 miles on it, and had the bags off the week before as I always take them off to wash the bike. I had a good idea of how it happened so I went back to the place that had just did the 1000 mile service. Aka local dealer right here in my home town. Brought the pin to the service writer and asked why this happens, well he gave me a new pair. If the pin is pushed in properly and not forced I know you can re-use them many yrs. as I did on my old RKC that the bags had been off and on alot in the 7 yrs. I had it. So check the alignment of the retainer and adjust it as needed. the pin should be able to fit in it and turn without resistance for a long life. As for preventing theft, well if someone wants it, it soon will no longer be yours.

I might have missed that part of it Doc, but did we address the issue of the ease of stealing a SEAT in that thread?

Yes,and as I recall,Smitty and I both suggested that if anyone is that worried they should use red locktite!:lolrolling

After my saddle bag raced me to the stop lite. I took some threaded anchor bolts, I think their called that. the type that you pound into wood to have a threaded metal hole. I welded them to the brackets on the frame. I then used 5/16 x 18 x 3/4" bolts to secure the bags to the scoot. I also drilled shallow holes (2) one on opposite sides of the bolt head to accommodate the rings that the original pins have.

RJ

Maybe because you don't like the way they look? Most Street Glide owners are attracted to the clean, minimum bling look of the SG. I have seriously considered the bag guards that go in front of the bags but I've held off because I'm not happy with what it does to the looks of the bike. Maybe HD should offer them color matched like everything else instead of only chrome.

The clean look may be fine but I want to protect my investment & myself . The saddle bag guard rail will keep your bags scratch free if the bike tips over & keep the bags in place incase the pins fails or are not installed properly . The rail that is in the front of the saddle bag serves a duel purpose , it keeps the bike @ a 45 degree angle when the bike tips over @ a standstill & makes it easier to pick up the bike , also it will help to keep the bike off your leg during a accident & give you enough time to get seperate from the bike . Nothing worst then being trapped underneath the bike while the exhaust pipes are burning your legs :newsmile038:

Back