free website stats program 7.25 j & m SPEAKERS | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

7.25 j & m SPEAKERS

I have a question about J&M and Hogtunes speakers. Are they a sealed unit ? Is all the sound is directed forward.

I know the HogTunes are not sealed so you'd have to apply soundproof backing if you so desire. I'm OK w/the way they sound, but will send an update once I get out of the garage (darn winter).

well, a LOT of car stereo speakers are built just like those J&M's...I dont think it will be a problem. I havent yet decided on any upgrade to the speakers as having a headset seems the most logical way to hear the music vs turning the speakers all the way up and causing everyone around you to hear what you want to listen to...kind of like my neighbors who think I want to hear their golden oldies all afternoon at 9/10ths on their stereo with the speakers in the windows while they rake their leaves. That said it would be nice to have better sound from the speakers when sitting around doing a chrome cleaning or what have you...The 7 1/4s seem like a great way to go (but pricey). I think J&M include some sound deadening material for the fairing too with their kit which should also improve performance/sound quality.

Phil

I'm wondering how can 7 1/4" speakers be mounted where 5 1/2" (?) came from the factory? I have been looking at pictures of stock HD speakers, and there does not seem to be a surplus area between the cone and the mount holes. Are the 7 1/4" speakers larger than the fairing holes? It seems like a speaker that is bigger than the opening is not going to have better sound.
Yep, I don't know diddly about sound systems, but I'd like to understand. :newsmile011:

I havent yet decided on any upgrade to the speakers as having a headset seems the most logical way to hear the music vs turning the speakers all the way up and causing everyone around you to hear what you want to listen to

Here's my thought on this topic. I feel like putting the music directly into your ears via headset dangerously eliminates outside noises which contribute to situational awareness and safety. Stuff like horns, sirens, screeching tires, distant thunder, etc. We constantly complain about people in cages doing this very thing to US by having windows up, music on, air cranked up, and phones to ears. Why should we operate in a way that we won't allow others to?

Now, I agree with the second part of your statement. I only crank up the music when I'm moving on the open road. I turn it down when slowing to transit a town or stopped at lights and always in a populated neighborhood or subdivision. Even at 70MPH+ with music turned way up, you will still hear all of those aural cues I mentioned previously that help you ride aware and safe.

well, I actually find I can have the sound somewhat lower with it in the headset than if I crank up the external speakers enough to actually understand what I an hearing. So if louder is more dangerous then the external speakers are more dangerous for me (just me)....but it brings up an interesting question for all the loud pipe crew albeit off topic...if loud sounds keep you from hearing the important stuff than how safe can pipes so loud you cant hear anything else be?

Phil

Just another thought...would cars be safer with the speakers mounted outside the cabin? same principle as the external speakers vs helmet mounted...THe important thing is attention..vision is more important than hearing in driving and dialing, reading notes or writing them while riding or driving is far more dangerous than listening to radio in the helmet or out. I have never actually had a bike with sound on it before (other than an intercom for touring with the wife) so my views on all this may change over time and I may even decide that radio and motorcycling dont mix...we'll see.

Phil

well, I actually find I can have the sound somewhat lower with it in the headset than if I crank up the external speakers enough to actually understand what I an hearing. So if louder is more dangerous then the external speakers are more dangerous for me (just me)....but it brings up an interesting question for all the loud pipe crew albeit off topic...if loud sounds keep you from hearing the important stuff than how safe can pipes so loud you cant hear anything else be?

Phil

For me, even if the volume is overall lower, I think having something in your ear designed to block out everything execpt the music is not a good idea. With external speakers you can still hear surrounding sounds no matter how loud the music is turned up - unless you've got a really top notch system, I guess.

The loud pipes issue - you really stir up a hornets nest with that one. Everyone seems to be on one side or other of that particular issue. Not a lot of fence sitters or people switching from one philosophy to the other.

Just another thought...would cars be safer with the speakers mounted outside the cabin? same principle as the external speakers vs helmet mounted...THe important thing is attention..vision is more important than hearing in driving and dialing, reading notes or writing them while riding or driving is far more dangerous than listening to radio in the helmet or out. I have never actually had a bike with sound on it before (other than an intercom for touring with the wife) so my views on all this may change over time and I may even decide that radio and motorcycling dont mix...we'll see.

Phil

Yes, vision is a LOT more important than hearing, smell, etc when riding. But why intentionally eliminate or vastly reduce any of the things that help make riding safer?

By the way, I'm not saying I'm 100% opposed to anything you're stating. I just enjoy playing devil's advocate and getting a wide variety of opinions on things. The main thing is that you ride as safe as you are comfortable with on any given day and that you enjoy yourself as much as possible!

I have a performance question on the J&M tweeter/mid-range speaker placement in front of the main speakers. I would think these two tweeters being mounted in front of the main speaker would be a problem? Is this close proximity placement OK?

Maybe someone with acoustical engineering experience could chime in on this.

A picture from the J&M web site is below.

tn99s3.jpg

Coaxial mounted mids and tweets use very low mass drivers and magnets so they do not affect the lows and midrange main driver...no worries. Actually the closer the mids and tweets are to the riders the better the "apparent" sound, as wind noise and small size play against good motorcycle sound performance.

Maybe a larger 6" or 6"x9" subwoofer/power amp (like Dr. Bose pioneered) with active crossover in the fairing or tourbox can boom over the "potato-potato" exhaust note...time to beef up your fairing & touring box mounts? :newsmile093:

Back