free website stats program '68xlch | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'68xlch

Got it started today, ran for a few minutes. Decided to ride it but when I put it gear it stalled the clutch plates are stuck together. Tried starting and it would not fire so I pulled the plugs they were black with soot also raw gas in the exhaust pipes, cleans it up and put in New plugs still would not fire. Pretty sure it's a fuel problem not the mag.
Try again tomorrow.
Thanks for all replies.

Glad to hear you got it running. Sounds like you need to do some adjusting on the carb to dial back the amount of fuel she's getting. Have you checked the float level? Mikuni does not have a direct number to tech support and refer you to a dealer. Drag Specialties is 1 of their suppliers, maybe they could help you in dialing it in. Just a thought.:s

Here is a link to the mikuni tuning guide for the vm38
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQFjAAahUKEwi0gdXR9cfIAhVDbRQKHZP0CQA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikuni.com%2Fpdf%2Fvmmanual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGGAeAnn3zYZYHWqr6K3OZ72ApeRQ
In my days of kick starting British bikes I always pulled the clutch in and kicked the bike over a couple of times to free off the clutch plates prior to switching the ignition on and starting the bike
On a points based ignition system if the points gap has been changed the ignition timing needs to be reset as any gap change alters the timing that the points open
I agree that if the plugs are black too much fuel perhaps a good time to have a close look at the carb just because it is new does not mean it is good

Brian

Got it tuned and running, rode around the neighborhood a few times, made adjustments as necessary. It is starting on 3 or 4 kicks, thank heavens, no enrichener.
Just have to get it on the highway and see how it does and if it can still get form 0-60 in under 5 seconds.
It's amazing how much I forgot about the bike, used to know it inside and out.
Thanks for all the replies! The info on the Mikuni was helpful.

It is always good to hear that an old bike is still running
I hope you have many happy miles on it

Brian

Back