free website stats program '68xlch | Harley Davidson Forums

'68xlch

01 rk

I am working on getting my '68 xl running, right now it has a Bendix carb on it. I would like to put a Mikuni VM38 on it. My question is will work?
The engine was rebuilt in 1990 it has over sized valves, the heads were ported and polished and it was bored out but I can't remember how much. Also has cams.
Don't want to spend a lot on a carb.
BTW it has not been run in about 6-8years.
Any help will be appreciated.

The Mikuni 38 will work. Your biggest obstacle may be the carb to intake manifold fit. Mik's usually have slip fit, and you should have a 2 bolt flange. Adapters are available.

Fresh the engine oil and filter... Cold change is OK... (IMO)... Sitting is not good... (fill oil filter ONCE to the threads sitting upright before you install,,,less time to get oil pressure up)

Fresh Battery OR Charged... Plugs out n Kick over with the starter to get oil throughout the engine... Plugs look good? New stock HD plugs not that expensive...

GAS?

Drain tank (remove tank & clean out if necessary)

Get that adaptor and install the Mikuni...

Fire it up. BUT....Think before you ride: about Tires... Sitting 6/8 years Don't Gamble with them... New IS Needed... Putting on the old ones? Your Call...

good riding...:D

Let us know HOW it is working for you....

signed....BUBBIE

Drained and flushed the oil and gas tanks, fresh oil and gas, New points and condenser, New Mikuni vm38carb, New 4316 plugs. Set the points gap and timing
Been trying to start it for several days, it fires but will not start, I am only good for a few kicks a day. My leg is sore and at 72 this ain't no picnic.
Can't believe I rode this thing for 14 years, 1969 to 1983

01 rk,

Thought about Me making that Mistake about the Fresh Battery...:newsmile100:

It is YOU that needs the Charge... I Rode the 66 ? 65 XLCH but didn't like no electric start... Not for me Even back then... So I bought my LITTLE 66 Kick Start BSA Victor 441... That was Tough enough starting for me...

Do you have a Bragging friend? Maybe ask him to see IF he can start it...

One time We had a big guy BRAGG " I can start MY kick bike in 3 kicks....
OH YA ?

He didn't know that one snuck out and took the coil wire loose...

WE started the count-Down at 100... Cheering him on... at about 82, he wised up and found the problem...

WE SCATTERED, got on or Electric Start bikes and left the scene.... knowing he was too tired to give Chase... Plus he had a flooded condition to take care of...:lero

signed....BUBBIE

I'm not familiar with old Sportster ignition plates, but I'd mark my timing plate position, then retard the timing a little to get it started the first time. After the bike has been run a little, it may be easier to start in the correct position. You definitely don't want to advance it, and wind up with "Sportster Knee". :cry

If it ran 6-8 years ago when it was parked I'd be inclined to leave the timing where it was and make sure the points are set correctly. Have you pulled the plugs and inspected them after it fires and tries to start? are they wet with fuel? It very well could be a carb issue.

Maybe find a young buck in the neighborhood and flip him a couple bucks to kick it over while you prime the carb, once it pops you can fine tune it.

Is the float set right? Use a spray bottle and give it a few shots of gas to prime it, see if it will pick up the fuel,
ee7328d3ea625e7c49c30de7e56b83d9.jpg

Take a look at your advance mechanism make sure it is operating freely

Does your ch have a magneto or points? If it has a mag they are very temperamental as I am sure you already know. If this bike has set up for a long period of time I would be checking it

Back