free website stats program 6" to 8" Drag Bar question | Harley Davidson Forums

6" to 8" Drag Bar question

R_W_B

My Street Bob has stock OEM mini apes. They are fairly comfortable to me but I do have them rotated forward just a bit due to my long arms and being 6' 2". I am thinking of going drag bars with 6" or 8" rise. I love the drag bar look but I don't know anyone that has them so I can sit and try the fit. I am wondering if anyone has gone from OEM mini apes to high drag bars and would comment on the (if any) reach change. Did it make you sit forward much ?
I would surmise even with 8" rise drags they are still a bit lower than OEM mini apes ?
Appreciate any and all info about height and reach change you experienced.
Also would love to see some side profile pics of the drag bars with the front wheel facing straight so I can see the pullback and rise.

My Street Bob has stock OEM mini apes. They are fairly comfortable to me but I do have them rotated forward just a bit due to my long arms and being 6' 2". I am thinking of going drag bars with 6" or 8" rise. I love the drag bar look but I don't know anyone that has them so I can sit and try the fit. I am wondering if anyone has gone from OEM mini apes to high drag bars and would comment on the (if any) reach change. Did it make you sit forward much ?
I would surmise even with 8" rise drags they are still a bit lower than OEM mini apes ?
Also would love to see some side profile pics of the drag bars with the front wheel facing straight so I can see the pullback and rise.

I am 6'2" as well, i know they are not drags, but i had Carlini Streetslammers on my FB. The were comfy, but hurt in betwen my shoulders on longer rides.
For my RK, even though it is a different ride, i put the heritage bars on, and roled them forward a little, and they almost look like mini apes, and they are alot more comfortable, for longer rides

When it comes to comfort and style, it will be a personal decision and all the pics and posts won’t help much. I love the look of drag bars. A friend has them on a Fatboy. All you can do is try them’ and keep the apes just in case. I’m sure someone here has a garage full of bars, along with windshields and seats. This is my last post.

For tonight, GOTCHA!

When it comes to comfort and style, it will be a personal decision and all the pics and posts won’t help much. I love the look of drag bars. A friend has them on a Fatboy. All you can do is try them’ and keep the apes just in case. I’m sure someone here has a garage full of bars, along with windshields and seats. This is my last post.

For tonight, GOTCHA!

Dont even go there DR Evil, you got me:newsmile100:

Hi there. Hope the pic loads.
Here's my Bob (day of purchase) with v rod bars. I really like the feel-i'm also 6'2. the only thing that i woud mention is that with mid controls, legs get a bit sqaushed (fwd controls next dent on my credit card). However as i ride in the city i like the ability the bars give to get over them to move in tight spots...

DSCN7176.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Benjo did bring up a good point, some drag bars are short in width, so leverage in twisties will be wear on your arms and wrists. I use HD Street Slammers that have integral risers, combining the drag bar forward lean, but wider "beach" bar feel. Being only 5' 6" the reach is natural for me, but it does not have the adjustablilty that conventional bars have, so it has to fit right, or it will be a big garage ornament as Jack pointed out...LOL!

2004XL1200RUpgrades9-9-09-1.jpg

If you have cable tv, try and find some episodes of "Sons of Anarchy". Many of the bikes they ride are Dyna's with 6" or 8" rise drag bars. Noting the riders positions may give you an idea of the ergonomics.

I have the stock Drag Bar and risers on my Fat Bob. Love the look, feel and function. I woudlnt mind risers 2 inched hire.

Thanks to all of you for the input. I went down to the Harley shop today since I had to order a part anyhow. I sat on one Fat Bob and one Street Bob both had same risers and same drag bars. The risers look to be at least 6" and they came straight up no pullback. The reach felt fine, I definitely would want straight risers. But the width of the drag bars was much narrower than my Mini Apes and I could feel it. I will definitely need to find some 31" wide drag bars.

Back