free website stats program 6 Speed Transmission Upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

6 Speed Transmission Upgrade

Puckman

I ride a 2005 FLSTCI with the stock 5-speed tranny. I've been looking at upgrading to a 6-speed. What I want is 1 through 5 to be the stock gear ratio's and 6 to be overdrive. I've seen quite a few options and a few people have added their advice about Screaming Eagle vs Baker vs Rev-Tech. I don't have a mint to spend and am leaning toward the Rev-Tech. Any thoughts on quality, any problems or just general information would be most appreciated.

I have baout 40,000 miles and do long distance rides whenever I can.

Thanks.

I ride a 2005 FLSTCI with the stock 5-speed tranny. I've been looking at upgrading to a 6-speed. What I want is 1 through 5 to be the stock gear ratio's and 6 to be overdrive. I've seen quite a few options and a few people have added their advice about Screaming Eagle vs Baker vs Rev-Tech. I don't have a mint to spend and am leaning toward the Rev-Tech. Any thoughts on quality, any problems or just general information would be most appreciated.

I have baout 40,000 miles and do long distance rides whenever I can.

Thanks.

Baker would be my choice if I could afford it, the rev tech would be the last choice( too much foreign material) for my liking Dennis Kirk - Baker Drivetrain Direct Drive 6-Speed Gear Set Kit customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

My 05 heritage has the HD 6 speed. Is yours stock. If not , I'm told you will not be happy. Bought mine 2 years ago it came with 95 inch with 203 cams. I love the six speed.

I would like to have it on my 99 ultra. When I'm going 75+ it would be nice to lower the rpms a bit. Under 70 though and it is not necessary IMO.

Harleyargo, did you have to upgrade your engine at all? Had a reply about not being happy with it unless I upgrade from the stock 88.

My 05 heritage has the HD 6 speed. Is yours stock. If not , I'm told you will not be happy. Bought mine 2 years ago it came with 95 inch with 203 cams. I love the six speed.

Yeah mine came stock with the 5-speed and the 88B engine.

I would like to have it on my 99 ultra. When I'm going 75+ it would be nice to lower the rpms a bit. Under 70 though and it is not necessary IMO.

Yeah the group I ride with is never slower than 80+.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the group I ride with is never slower than 80+.

Honestly when I think 75+ it is almost exclusively for riding in Texas, and Oklahoma. If I lived down there I would need a 6 speed or a different pulley. Where I live now, I rarely go over 70 though, so its not necessary.

I've got 25K on my rev-tec 6 speed (32K on bike). Had it in when I bought it. Does have S&S cam upgrade and stage 1 (K&N air filter and exhaust).
I don't kick into 6th until 65 or 70 MPH. I run Specto Platinum 6 speed tranny fluid (GL-5 do a search on the forum. Tons of info) but have also heard great things about redline heavy shockproof fluid (don't get Sir Bubbie started).
All in all, have not had problems with the rev-tec.

Back