free website stats program 6 Speed Transmission dip stick | Harley Davidson Forums

6 Speed Transmission dip stick

Joe2007ultra

Has anyone noticed that the dip stick on their 6 speed transmissions is rubbing on something in the gear book. I have some chrome worn off about one and a half inches down from the threds. It is bad enough to eventually break off the bottom half of the stick.

I am going to cut it off just so it don't break and fall in the gear box. Will keep a spare to check level when I need to.

Would be curious if anyone else has seen this and is there a fix?

I have heard this before and I did as you mentioned with the spare dipstick cutting it off and using a spare to check the trans oil. Just another great design feature from Harley.

I also have a brand new 6 speed dipstick in the packaging that I'm looking to sell if you or anyone else is interested.

You're only a hop away from me, could even pick it up.

Glider has anyone ever given you a reason? You would think Harley wouldn't want broken sticks getting chewed up in their gear boxes. Or do they think it will stay together until we are off warrantee?

Yes you are close. Thanks for the info

Glider has anyone ever given you a reason? You would think Harley wouldn't want broken sticks getting chewed up in their gear boxes. Or do they think it will stay together until we are off warrantee?

Yes you are close. Thanks for the info

Some of the older bikes had a problem with the clutch cable rubbing on the dipstick especially if it had been taken apart and reassembled for any reason. Can't comment on the 6 speeds as to why the stick gets rubbed but I would think it would be along the same lines being there is very little in that area of the dipstick that can rub on it other than the cable itself.

That's one of the first things I did with mine after hearing of one that dropped into the gears.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.First up on Sunday morning,i'll be out in the garage checking mine.-just hope it's got enough klms on it to make a mark.

Being a Jet Aircraft Tech I can't sleep until I solve this. Going to get the Boroscope out today and see if I can pinpoint it. Will let you know what I find!

Good deal, shouldn't be too much trouble to find the problem being it's only a few inches into the case.

Real handy tool having a Boroscope at your disposal.:s

This is basically what you are looking at inside the cover of a 5 speed. A different setup on a 6 speed.

Lightclutch.jpg

Yeah aircraft tool are expensive but come in handy, especially when the company is buying them for us!

Thats exactly where the rub is . Where the cable and stick intersect

I have heard this before and I did as you mentioned with the spare dipstick cutting it off and using a spare to check the trans oil. Just another great design feature from Harley.

I also have a brand new 6 speed dipstick in the packaging that I'm looking to sell if you or anyone else is interested.

You're only a hop away from me, could even pick it up.

How much Glider? I've got a 08 FatBob.

Back