free website stats program 6 speed in my "05 electaglide | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

6 speed in my "05 electaglide

If you are really considering the 6-spd for the gas economy, then I agree with what has been said. The cost/benefit is a stretch.

But if you are trying to reduce the RPMs in top gear to smooth out the ride and get a bit less wear and tear on the engine and tranny, then I like that option. I swapped out my OEM 5-spd on my ex-UC (deceased) for that reason. When I did it, I chose the SE 6-spd which is a 6-spd gear set in an OEM 5-spd case. I bought the complete tranny assembly and installed it myself (do a search for my posts early on).

If I had it to do again though, I would get the Baker DD6 gearset and do that option. Now that is on a touring bike where reliability is important. On my '91 Dyna which is just a runaround, I am going for a much less expensive option. Something like the RevTech or Ultima. Will probably do a gearset since there is nothing wrong with the 5-spd case I have on the bike now. Will just be a fun project.

So think through WHY you are considering this, and if it is for reduced RPM and the fun of doing it, GET AFTER IT!!!

Cheers,

TQ

If reduced rpms is the goal, there is a much cheaper option than a Baker DD6. The Johnson Engineering Twist Gear kit, with stock trans pulley, will increase the TQ multiplier of the stock five speed by 10% in the first four gears while maintaining the final drive ratio of 3.15 in fifth gear. This kit and a 34 trans pulley will reduce the TQ multiplier of the first four gears to about 6% but will drop rpms by about 200 at 70mph. So, you get a bit more acceleration in the first four gears and the benefit of dropping cruise rpms by 200 which will help fuel economy as well as a secondary benefit but certainly not the primary reason for making the change. The Twist Gear kit is about $500, plus the cost of the new trans pulley and belt; less than half the cost of a Baker DD6 but does come with the additional labor to change the trans pulley and belt.

I run the Twist Gear in my all bore 107" FLHT, with stock trans pulley; I did it for the added acceleration of the close ratio four speed but not sacrificing higher cruise rpms. I am quite happy with the change.:D

Thanks TQ, I just may do it, by the way my bike is fuel injected, also what is your opinion on putting on a slightly smaller sprocket

Thanks I will look into it

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks TQ, I just may do it, by the way my bike is fuel injected, also what is your opinion on putting on a slightly smaller sprocket. Thanks I will look into it

Which sprocket? Dropping teeth on the rear wheel pulley will lower (numerically) the secondary drive ratio and a smaller clutch sprocket or larger motor sprocket will lower the primary drive ratio and either will lower (numerically) final drive ratio but in all five gears; you will give up torque in the first four gears as well. Neither is a good move for a heavy touring model IMHO. A stock motor will struggle in the lower gears; not good for the motor as these vtwins would much rather spin than lug.

I assume since you have not stated otherwise that the motor is stock? If so, a Stage I upgrade to open up the air intake and a set of good slip on mufflers along with a fuel management system and dyno tune will result in increased performance as well as pick up a couple of mpgs.:s

However, if you have the time to take on the project, take a look at the Twist Gear. A stock bike would benefit from the added TQ and the close ratio four speed and, if you go up two teeth on the trans pulley, you will drop about 200 rpms at cruise. The rpm drop will help fuel efficiency if you can stay out of the throttle with the new acceleration in the first four gears.:s

Harley davidson parts, gear ratio, motorcycle performance parts, overdrive transmission

Back