free website stats program 6 speed in my "05 electaglide | Harley Davidson Forums

6 speed in my "05 electaglide

I am considering switching to a 6 speed tranny in my 05 electraglide. The main reason would be to get better mileage. What are anybodys thoughts about this and if I did this would it be easier to just buy a 6 speed or remove the five speed and install a six speed kit in it. any other suggestions in improving my gas mileage. I ride pretty hard and when I do average 75 to 80 miles per hour I only get about 35 mpg. I have also gotten 40 but that was averaging about 65 miles per hour.

Unless you plan on keeping your scoot for a very long time is it worth the cost to add a 6 speed to a 05 just to pick up a few more miles per gal? Have you priced it both ways and the labor involved? I'm not so sure the benefits out way the cost on a 10 year old bike. JMO.

I probably will keep this bike for quite a while since it is paid for, as far as doing the change I have a great selection of tools a lot of time on my hands since I am retired so I would do the work myself, and that is why I am wondering what the best way to improve the mileage is?

If you're riding in the 75-80 mph range and are getting 35 mpg, I don't think adding a 6th gear is going to improve that a whole lot. I've got a 6 speed and I ride in the 80 mph range and only average about 35 mpg too. If you want better mileage, ease up on the throttle. If you like riding 80 or faster, be prepared for not so good mpg's.

Maybe a little more info about your scoot will help such as any mods you've already done. There might be some other things you can do to increase mileage that would be a lot cheaper and less work.

if most your riding is on the freeway you may consider changing the front sprocket on the belt pulley a lot cheaper,but then you will lose some of your low end power

IMO the 6 speed is not going to increase your mileage enough to warrant the change, you would be better served with cam and intake
JMO

As Jeff says, more information about your bike would help. I would agree with what has already been said. There is no way a six speed will pay for itself unless you are a long haul, cross country tourer; the cost/benefit is just not there.

I run my 107" '02 FLHT like you do, carbureted, hi lift cams, ported heads, etc., etc., and consistently get 38-40mpg. If you are running an 88" motor, stock or modified, even if 95", you should see 40+mpg.

What mods to the motor? How many miles on the motor? Carbureted or fuel injected? answer those for starters. I suspect a proper tune would probably improve mileage a bit, even with a motor in stock trim. JMHO.

I probably will keep this bike for quite a while since it is paid for, as far as doing the change I have a great selection of tools a lot of time on my hands since I am retired so I would do the work myself, and that is why I am wondering what the best way to improve the mileage is?

In my opinion the best way is to put the money in the tank, it would be better spent that way. It looks to be around $2,500 plus just for a kit. Enjoy the ride...:s

If you hope to get 42 mpg and gas is 2.50 that means your paying about 6 cents per mile. If you pay 2 grand for a kit you would have to ride about 34,000 miles to break even.
WAP.gif

Back