free website stats program 5th gear whine | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear whine

I'm thinkin' that if the question had been " Does anyones "09 Bagger have a QUIET fifth gear? this would have been a real short thread.

I have a 2009 Ultra, 1st has a whine that is tolerable, 5th gear lets you know it is there. It has become a little louder with 1500 miles verses 100miles. Was quiet from 7 to about 50 miles. I am changing to full syn oil soon. Also chrome shield over ex crossover gets hot, if your shoe just touches it leaves mark, it is a pain to clean. Anyone use heat tape for this issue?

Had whining fifth gear problem on my 2007 RK it was pretty loud and only happened in 5th gear. Did some reading up on it it and it seems to be a problem with the fifth gear being helical as opposed to the others being flat or the other way around it was three years ago but i,m sure it was one or the other. The solution is to install what is called an ids that attaches to the back wheel. ids stands for isolated drive system that dampens that whining sound. Unfortunately harley being harley admitted to the problem and fixed it on yhe 2008 models. but if you happen to own a 2007 it will cost you about 300 dollars + labor to install the isolated drive system on your scoot. The good news is on my bike the whining has virtually disappeared albeit at my expense.

Almost ready for the 1000 mile checkup and (knock on wood) only whine is in first on downshift. 5th gear is as quiet as a mouse. Maybe I won the bike lottery.

I have the "whine" in both 1st (upon downshifting, not when doing it from a stop) and 5th, and it doesn't bother me at all

I just bought an 09 bagger and I cannot believe the noise in 5th gear. I worked in a chemical plant and around heavy equipment for 32 years and if we had a gearbox that sounded like the 5th gear in my bike we would have shut it down. I have read about the straight cut gear in 5th and I think that is a bunch of (EDIT) I don't care how the gears are cut, this thing ain't supposed to make that kind of noise. At the 1000 if Harley can't make this thing quieter I will sell it.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

At the 1000 if Harley can't make this thing quieter I will sell it.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Get ready to sell it then. There's nothing they will do about it, it's just a poor design. I'll bet you haven't noticed the clutch handle chattering when you are on and off the throttle due to the weak trap door in the trans flexing. Try the spectro platinum , it helps very much in reducing the noise and makes shifting easier.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

I have an 08 ultra and noticed the whine in the first month took the bike in for 1000 mile service and the servicr guy told me it was normal but it still bugs me along with the rear brake draggin which he also said was normal

Back