free website stats program 5th gear whine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear whine

I beleive there is an outfit that sells a replacement gear set that uses helical cut gears for all speeds. This is supposed to fix the annoying gear whine.

Glider; can you provide any details about this?

Baker Transmissions make a 6 speed gearbox upgrade for H-D's 2007 and up.It's called the F6F.It replaces 5th gear pairs,bearings and support plate.They also make a complete 6 speed 'box called DD6

Check out their website "Baker Drivetrain"
Hope this is helpful.Regards

Not familiar with anyone making helical gears for all gears. I would rather have the straight cut in any case.

I have an 09 Ultra. I do have a whine in 5th but it is so insignificant I have to listen for it. Since I know it is normal and it causes no harm whatsoever, I don't even notice it. In fact, it is nothing more than a indicator that I am in 5th gear if I listen for it. I do think some are louder than others due to the fact it is brought up so much. Mine really is hardly noticeable. Good news is it is the norm and is no problem. Ride safe.

If anyone had an 07 without the IDS drive system installed, they would have a better idea of what a whine sounds like. I actually disliked my RK because of the sound of the trans and the whine until I added the IDS. It made a world of difference in drive ability and noise reduction to the point of almost not hearing it then. The 08 and 09 touring bikes come from the factory with the IDS installed.

I USE REDLINE SHOCK-PROOF HEAVY....a synthetic specially for hot heavy use....... used to be recommended by baker 6 speeds and would not warranty their trany without it being in the box! I have mucho miles on mine and smoooooooth and quiet!
signed....BUBBIE

Picked the bike up last night after 1000 mile service service manager called HD and they say the noise is normal, it's documented so if there is an issue at any time I'm covered! Changed to Redline tranny fluid, little quieter. :s

I absolutly do! 2009 Street Glide with a constant whine in 5th gear. Coming up on the 1,000 mile service and tech stated he will change trans fluid and the noise will be gone. Ya, right! We will see.

I absolutly do! 2009 Street Glide with a constant whine in 5th gear. Coming up on the 1,000 mile service and tech stated he will change trans fluid and the noise will be gone. Ya, right! We will see.

Changing from what fluid that is in the scoot now to what fluid to replace it-- is my question????

My 2007 whines in 5th. I'm so used to it now Ithink I would miss it if it was gone

Back