free website stats program 5th gear acceleration | Harley Davidson Forums

5th gear acceleration

Glsec507

06 Road King police. 38,000 miles. Engine is stock. Slip ons and big sucker with a Dobeck EJK.

Ok, I was one a run with my club over the weekend from Ohio to Kentucky. Multiple times when getting on the freeways I would get into 5th gear while still accelerating and I noticed a couple times when I'm in 5th gear coming up in the 4500rpm range the tach would dip a little but continue to accelerate. Almost as if the tranny was shifting into a 6th gear on its own (which I don't have) just not as drastic as a gear change.
This could also be felt which is what made me keep an eye on the tach which is when I noticed the rpms actually dipping slightly. The dip in rpms was only from say 4300 down to 4000, just enough to notice.

Could it be possible that the clutch is slipping when pulling hard in 5th?

You should be alright, just make sure there is equal on both sides of the wheel between the tire and swingarm to keep yhe belt straight.

Nope but I did check them beginning of this season. Not horrible. Some pitting but only close to 1/4 of wear. I will swap them out or upgrade as soon as I find the cash for whichever route I want to take.

If the rpm's drop from 4,300 to 4,000 while still "hard" on the throttle, I have no answer. BUT if you are backing off the throttle just at the time you notice the drop, it could be the clutch was slipping, then grabs as you back off. If your clutch is slipping, 5th gear at over 4k rpm is where you would first notice it. Once a clutch starts slipping it only gets worse, as the plates start to glaze from the heat generated. How fast is 4,000 rpm 5th gear, 90?

I'll have to get back on the highway on my own and do some trials to see when exactly it's happening. My recollection has it occurring while still actively giving a lot of throttle but I couldn't say I was even going 80 yet at that point. Just trying to accelerate fast

Back