free website stats program 5K/10K Service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

5K/10K Service

I'd have to think you'd be much better off finding an independent dude/dudette to service your bike if that's your inclination to have other folks work on your pride and joy. I just flat out don't trust anyone to work on my stuff, after the experiences I've had on my vehicles over the past decade. I used to always do my own stuff on my car, timing belts replacements, etc and then life and a job caught up with me and I got lazy and let other shops do my work for me. I had a Tom Wood Nissan in Indianapolis change out the timing belt on my pathfinder years ago...had I had a gun with me that day..I'd probably be typing this to you from my jail cell....and I am not a violent person. But the experience I had on that service was God's way of paying me back for all the (EDIT) I put my parents through as a youngster...only thing I can think of lol -

I always try to do my own service..I just flat out don't trust anyone to look after my stuff as I would -

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, some day when you have the time I would love to hear that story (Tom Woods) from beginning to end. I can totally relate. I have a few of my own.
Actually 1 or 2 that you would not believe even if you were there!:p

well quickly - had them change the timing belt - next morning had a nice puddle of antifreeze underneath the vehicle. Called em up and they said bring it in. They called later saying that the water pump was defective and needed replacement. I told them there wasn't and hadn't been an issue w/ the pump prior to bringing it in. They said there was and that they told me about it during the belt replacement and that I declined replacement. I told them I know the labor involved in replacing the pump and would never have declined replacment. It's as much labor to get to the pump as to the timing belt. They were insistent on charging me full boat on labor to do the pump. At that point I was starting to get confrontational with them which is not the best way to negotiate. I told them I'd meet them halfway on the labor, we agreed and I come back the next day to pick up.

I get there the next day, their guy brings it up front - I get in and I don't know if you've ever had your car broken into, but that's what had happened overnight. I'm looking at the dash where the stereo goes, and it's all jacked up. I turn the car off, I go in and request the service manager, he comes out in the lobby where folks are waiting for their car and I let go. I don't remember all the details of the verbal sparring, of which he was reciprocating equally, but basically said you'll never touch my car again. I go back out to my car and it won't start. So I have to go back in and said now my car won't start. He gets his guy out their again with a battery jump. I ask him why it won't start. He's a young kid and he says well your door was left open overnight, and I had to jump it to get it started. I said what if I had driven 2block down the road and turned it off to gas up somewhere...what do ya think of that??? He gave me a blank stare and probably thought I had escaped from some psych ward somewhere at that point in this process.

I get in my car, start driving down the road and my tach needled starts spiking all over the place. I make it back home, called Nissan said this is what has happened and they said basically sir, if you want to get these issues resolved you really need to go back to the center that serviced it. I told them there is absolutely NO WAY I would take my car back to them. They said sir, these are all independent dealerships and that really is your only option.

I call up another Nissan shop. Took it in and they found a defective ignition pack causing my running issues with the tach. At that point I was feeling that Tom Wood had sabotaged my vehicle over the water pump fall-out.

And lastly while I had that rental, someone ran into it overnight and put a nice dent in the left rear fender. By that time I was feeling I was living a nightmare that I was yet to awaken from... really just unbelievable and I still shake my head when thinking about....and that my friends, is why I try to work on my stuff....myself!

I am sorry that I asked you to re-live that story but that was indeed a Classic. Man you were dragged through the mill on that one with not even a hint of a happy ending.

Not that it will make you feel any better, the worst one of my 50 year life happened to me just a couple of years back after buying 2 New identical Yamaha Virago's. Simply an incredible story of dealer incompetence along with a division in California headed by a manager with her head in the sand. Even with side by side bikes for comparison, the dealership had no clue what was wrong even after I told him what the problem was. One thing that I learned. If the people behind the word "Warranty" don't care or don't have a clue, your just plain out of luck. Certified letters mean nothing when key people don't care. The Lemon law you say? It does not apply to motorcycles and even if it did, the law is a joke after you read into it..

Self help has checklists that show everything you need to do. Good choice on buying a manual and accomplishing the maintenance yourself. I am waiting on my manual as I type to accomplish my 1K service. Looking at the list it does not seem difficult at all. Dealer wanted 379 for the service so I paid 51 for the manual and 72 dollars for fluids and lubrication.

I did buy a manual, I was just wondering if things such as drive belt adjustmentsor primary chain , clutch or any other things were common amongst readers getting the service checkup

I donated to the HD Talking site. it has saved me lots of cash. I don't have all the tools needed for the 25k service so I'll find a good indy for that. 3k miles to go

If I could find a Harley shop that honestly did everything on the check list during a service call, I wouldn't mind taking my bike there and paying the price. Since I don't believe such a shop exists, I'll continue to do my own service work :)

Buy the manual, ask questions and do your own service. You'll know the work is done and done right and you'll get a sense of pride from working on your own bike :)

I did buy a manual, I was just wondering if things such as drive belt adjustmentsor primary chain , clutch or any other things were common amongst readers getting the service checkup

If you go to The Stealer to have it done best to keep an eye on them, they sometimes dont do all on the check list

Thought I would relay my experience. After joining HD Talking I was convinced to start doing my own maintanence on my 09 Road King. I have since completed 5k and 10k service with little difficulty. Later last year we purchased a 2005 1200XLC for my wife. Bike had about 1600 miles when she bought it so it obviously was sitting around for awhile not being ridden that much.

We had the Harley Dealer do a Service which was really a late 1000 mile service towards the end of last year. The bike now has 4900 miles so I just completed the 5000 mile maintenance. After I adjusted everything and changed fluids - the bike has a totally different feel. Shifting is much much smoother and my wife can't even believe the difference. This experience leads me to believe that perhaps the dealer didn't do that thoroug of a job. At least when I work on it.....I know its been done.

Back