free website stats program 551 Easy Start cams | Harley Davidson Forums

551 Easy Start cams

I am thinking of putting in the S&S 551 ez start cams, and body have any input on these?

I went with the 583's but I also installed a 106" kit ( 92 HP 110TQ) otherwise I would have used the 551's if I was staying with 96". Check out their website I believe that's a good choice for a 96" motor. Good luck with whatever you choose. :s

I have the 585G S&S easy start (107 kit, 10.5 comp -118hp , 123torq) love the power BUT not sure about the easy start part. I had to replace my starter clutch already, it seems that the compression releases do not always work, especially on short trips when motor is hot. :(

I have the 585G S&S easy start (107 kit, 10.5 comp -118hp , 123torq) love the power BUT not sure about the easy start part. I had to replace my starter clutch already, it seems that the compression releases do not always work, especially on short trips when motor is hot. :(

Huh, that is the first I've heard of any issues. I have a little over 2,000 miles on mine (10.1) and have had no trouble at all.

Yea, just my luck I guess, fig I put a HD starter in it when it first happen and go fig again the Spike starter I got was not built correctly and leaked oil all over my scoot!:(

My brother and i run S & S Easy Start 583 cams in our '08 Softails.-stock motors,but with A/C mods,Thundermaxes,one with Slip-ons and one with " 2into 1" V&H system.

We've run these for 2 years and have had no issues whatsoever.They work as advertised,even down to the ocassional "click" on engine shutoff.

As a Cam,they produce low to mid-range which is where we like it.

We also fitted adjustable pushrods at installation time, and these Cams also come with new (and better )bearings.

Check the S & S website.Oh,and also some posts by a member called 'Sage Counsel' a couple of years back.He went the engine modification route and Easy Starts; and he posted good results.

Back