54 mpg on my 2008 Ultra Specs

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by trvlr, Dec 19, 2010.

1. trvlr

trvlr Junior Member

Was just looking at stock specs on my 08 EGC. Fuel consumption is stated at 54.07 mpg

2008 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU Ultra Classic Electra Glide specifications and pictures

How do they arrive at that #? I never seem to manage better than 42mpg, and I'm pretty easy on the throttle. Still running stock. No a/c, no fueler, etc. But I will admit to not doing 250 mi on a tank of gas going 55 either, if that's how they're coming up with that number.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Just like cars, this is slight of hand done under ideal conditions on a dyno to please the EPA to be certified, FORD did it for the Crown Vic made in Canada by our brothers and sisters up there and (imported) for lack of better words to meet US EPA

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

It's Very simple. They lie.:)

4. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

" smoke & mirrors" :D

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Yeah, thats what I meant:lolrolling

6. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

But in all fairness, those numbers were pulled with Alky free gas back in 2008. Using E10 reduced my mileage by 10%. That right there is worth about 4 mpg.

7. trvlr

trvlr Junior Member

well that's a pretty tall one they're pulling off... off by I'd say an arguable 20%....how DO they do it?? :laugh

Using E10 reduced my mileage by 10%

well the 42mpg I'm averaging is on ethanol free gas... Government statistics
    :tounge

but it is around town driving mostly on the eth-free gas

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  8. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

You can get and run 93 test ethanol free fuel..? All I can get is 87 ethanol free and I won't use it.

I am not trying to make you feel another 5% worse than you already do,, but have you ever checked the accuracy of you odometer against highway mile markers? Mine was off 5% to the BAD side.

9. trvlr

trvlr Junior Member

Yes sir - Whetstone Oil company I think is supplier. One spot in town where road vehicles can get it. And interestingly I think it's only .07c or so higher than the 10% stuff.

I've thought of filling up before hitting a long road trip back home to do some testing, but then again I'd have to go easy on the throttle, and that will either get me shot or run over. So I'm guessing I'll never ever see my 54.07 mpg lol

have you ever checked the accuracy of you odometer against highway mile markers? Mine was off 5% to the BAD side.

No I haven't. Never thought of that but will give that a try next time I'm rolling off some continous miles.

10. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Wow. That is a Great Find. Nothing but 87 where I am at.