free website stats program 5000 mile service | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

5000 mile service

H.D. stands for a hundred dollars each and every time you enter dealer...:bigsmiley15:

Even just for parts. lol

I cringe every time I need to go in and get something or look it up online.

Lucky for me, it hasn't been much. But I've seen some people walk out with 6 bills in parts.

Even just for parts. lol

I cringe every time I need to go in and get something or look it up online.

Lucky for me, it hasn't been much. But I've seen some people walk out with 6 bills in parts.

46 years of experience has shown me that if you are going to do it yourself then you need to go to the HD shop and by the service manual. They are roughly $60. That will answer your questions as they pop up and that is what I advise all of my customers. This stuff isn't rocket science and with the manual you can decide if you are getting in over your head. The manual also has the maint schedule and show you how to do it. You may not be familliar with the terms but it will through pic show you. $400.00 is way too much for the little that they do and usually don't do correctly. You will find that manual will be the best $60 HD bucks you will ever spend.

46 years of experience has shown me that if you are going to do it yourself then you need to go to the HD shop and by the service manual. They are roughly $60. That will answer your questions as they pop up and that is what I advise all of my customers. This stuff isn't rocket science and with the manual you can decide if you are getting in over your head. The manual also has the maint schedule and show you how to do it. You may not be familliar with the terms but it will through pic show you. $400.00 is way too much for the little that they do and usually don't do correctly. You will find that manual will be the best $60 HD bucks you will ever spend.

Now thats some great advice Grizzly Old Hippie !!!:s

JMHO FOR YEARS OF DOING MY OWN.....

Much of the stuff they call to do and Don't do is in the maintenance schedule and the mileage it needs to be done.

I have owned Many bikes from New and Believe me 1/2 or better doesn't need to be done just checked off.

Grease Neck bearing as soon as I BUY the bike and get it home...HD NEVER fills that bearing as it cost a few $$ and a full tube and 1/2 to fill... (Red synthetic thick grease)

Then check and re-adjust the Belt tension to my settings.. Old School and not tooooo tight.

I do the oil,filter,primary,tranny (redline ShockProof heavy), at 1,000... Always check air in tires...... first service always by ME...

Check things suggested in maintenance book...
oil/HD filter and primary done together @ 4,000 or 5 miles then on.
tranny at 20,000 now called out for...

Major things at 10,000 and 20,000 and 30,000 and 40,000 THEN 50,000 (front fork oil) Might need advice HERE not at HD...:s

Good to do your own...

signed....BUBBIE[/QUOTE

I agree i do all my own service work and my hike is in better shape than anyone i know. When i ride down the road i know what i am riding because i did it and i did it right.

Back