free website stats program 5000 mile oil, tranmission and primary fluid change | Harley Davidson Forums

5000 mile oil, tranmission and primary fluid change

It is time for the 5000 mile check up. I would like to know what is the best oil for my 1200 XLNightster? and what is used for the transmission and primary. My brother swears by Mobile one Synthetic for VTwins. I know I am a fan of that oil for my truck. I need recommeded oil weights for each fluid to be changed. I have an idea, but I would like to hear from someone that knows more about this and has some knowledge and experience in this area so that I take care of my babies engine correctly and make her purr for many years to come Thanks... Tim

For your engine go with any of the 20w50 synthetic oils that are formulated for V-twin engines. They are designed for air cooled ie: Mobile 1 V-twin. For your primary/transmission you can't really beat Harley's Formula +. Enjoy the ride.

heres what I use..there are a thousands of different opinions on this issue.
4 qts. Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 engine hole.
32.ozs. Mobile 1 10w-40 Primary
20-24 ozs. Mobil 1 75w-90 Tranny
All synthetics
Hope this helps

Yes...any information helps and I greatly appreciate it. I have the maintenance manuel as well as the owners manuel and of course they give the recommended amounts and viscosity types but I wanted some tried and true information and that is what I got. Thank you very much for your response and suggestions. I need to keep her running for as long as she can and that means doing and using the right things to ensure that happens. Just needed some backup info to ease my own mind. Thanks again. :D

I guess I shoud have been more specific...my aplogies. I have an 09 nightster. It is time to change the oil and transmission flluid. What is recommeneded for the two. Can I use the same oil for both? Or should I use 20-50 mobil1 of for the oil and something else for the transmission due to the fact that the primary and trans use the same oil together? I just do not want to do something silly here and regret it if you know what I mean. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Back