free website stats program 5 speed tranny how fast or slow in each gear | Harley Davidson Forums

5 speed tranny how fast or slow in each gear

calautti1

I just purchased a used 2004 FLSTC. I have no tach and sometimes I am wondering if I am pushing the bike to fast of possibly lugging it. In general I wanted to know approximately how fast the stock bike should be going in each gear. Example 3rd gear 30-55mph 4th 55-90mph Thanks Pat

I'm sure someone can quote the owner's manual speeds, but in my opinion they are too low. I would suggest coming out of 1st at about 25, then about 10 mph gaps from there. One exception being 5th gear. If you are on a 60 MPH road, you don't have to ride in 4th gear all day... My figures are for going through the gears, not crusing (if that makes sense...)

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum, Calautti1 and your first post...! As Bull Dog said, many who are new to their H-D are amazed at the torque of the V-Twin, and have a tendancy to lug the motor (upshift too soon starting out). Here is a thread on the subject I found using the Search tab above and typing in keywords. The Self Help section I think has look up tables and gearing if you are so inclined. :)

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_harley_davidson_topic/30771-suggested_shifting_speeds.html

I just purchased a used 2004 FLSTC. I have no tach and sometimes I am wondering if I am pushing the bike to fast of possibly lugging it. In general I wanted to know approximately how fast the stock bike should be going in each gear. Example 3rd gear 30-55mph 4th 55-90mph Thanks Pat

I have always felt 1 and 2 gear can Usually take care off their selves.

I usually (going up EASY) use these approximate speeds to shift at..
1 to 2 =20/30 plus
2 to 3 =30/40 plus
3 to 4 =40/50 plus
4 to 5 =50/55 plus .......
5/6 = not under 65

If your bike is stock 5 speed and TC motor, keep it out of 5th while Pulling until about 65 then shift to 5.
I have found that 55 was the better cruise speed MIN. on my TC 5 speed bikes.

When ever I need to getty-up, I always shift Down one for sure or maybe two gears and Use the higher RPMs, even though I have a lot of torque to pull the bike ahead it is a lot EASIER on the motor to shift down and Quicker...

I'm shifting up hitting the next gear at at least 3600/4000 RPM Shift Points when on it....

Lugging the motor on any bike EVEN with a lot of Torque is Hard on things..

I stay away from ANY running under 2400 RPM no matter on which bike I am riding... The 09 FLHR and 1200 R sport 06...

Just my way

signed....BUBBIE

Here's what I've noticed with my 2004 Ultra, which has a 5 speed.

At 2,000 RPM, each gear matches by about 10x the gear... not sure about 1st; however...

2nd 2,000 RPM = 20mph
3rd 2,000 RPM = 30mph, etc.

Also, at 3,000 RPM in 5th gear I'm sitting around 75mph. I've had the bike up to 110 in 5th, and it wasn't at redline yet. Of course, I would never recommend going over the posted speed limit. Fortunately, the speed limit was 115... I swear officer. :)

I have always felt 1 and 2 gear can Usually take care off their selves.

I usually (going up EASY) use these approximate speeds to shift at..
1 to 2 =20/30 plus
2 to 3 =30/40 plus
3 to 4 =40/50 plus
4 to 5 =50/55 plus .......
5/6 = not under 65

If your bike is stock 6 speed and TC motor, keep it in 5th while Pulling until about 65 then shift to ""6"". (changed to right # of gear, 5 to a 6)
I have found that 55 was the better cruise speed MIN. on my TC 5 speed bikes.

When ever I need to getty-up, I always shift Down one for sure or maybe two gears and Use the higher RPMs, even though I have a lot of torque to pull the bike ahead it is a lot EASIER on the motor to shift down and Quicker...

I'm shifting up hitting the next gear at at least 3600/4000 RPM Shift Points when on it....

Lugging the motor on any bike EVEN with a lot of Torque is Hard on things..

I stay away from ANY running under 2400 RPM no matter on which bike I am riding... The 09 FLHR and 1200 R sport 06...

Just my way

signed....BUBBIE

Just changed to RIGHT gear Number in RED above..

signed....BUBBIE

Back