free website stats program 5 Questions To Ask Your Engine Tuner | Harley Davidson Forums

5 Questions To Ask Your Engine Tuner

glider.

BOT Machine
Here's something to ponder if you are taking your bike for a dyno tune from member "Doc 1"

Gentleman here are five questions you can ask your tuner to see what his skill level is without being conspicuous. These are 5 simple questions that a good experienced tuner can and will be able to spit out the answers correctly and without a great deal of thought and the whole time your asking them the questions it will seem like a general conversation of you getting a little knowledge of the tuning procedures from him. If your tuner can't answer all, or any, of these questions it's time for you to search out another shop.

1) How long will my bike be on the Dyno to tune the SERT?
(answer) 4 to 5 hours

2) How many Dyno runs will you have to make to finish a tune?
(answer) 50 to 70 on a average

3) What are people talking about when they say you have to SYNCHRONIZE the VE tables?
(answer) By Synchronizing the VE Table to the Fuel Table your telling the ECM the new air flow through the motor from the mods you made.

4) I heard something about a Step Test, can you tell me what that is?
(answer) The Step Test is a program in the winPEP 7 software (Dyno Software) that allows us to sample the AFR longer for a better reading at 2%, 5%, 7%, 10%, and 15% Throttle Position. This is where the bike lives so we want a good AFR sample to make our edits.

5) Do you change the AFR Table to one value as you tune?
(answer) Yes, 13.2. This makes it easier to synchronize the VE Table.

If your tuner can answer these simple questions chances are (99%) you will get a good tune. I hope this will give you all a better idea who your trusting your $20,000.00 investment with.

Just trying to help!
Doc

I am new to this site and in process of buying a 2009 or 2010 Street Glide. I wa nt stage 1 tuning done more for power than sound. I have quotes from several dealers and there seems to be some differences. One dealer has slip-ons and stage 1 airbox and labor and the other has those as well as SE pro tuner (part# 32109-08A) and charge for dyno. unsure if one dealer doesn't know what he is doing or what? Also any advice on 2009 or 2010 as about $1000 price difference.

Back