free website stats program 4th gear whine | Harley Davidson Forums

4th gear whine

Cuzz

06 Ultra (stock 5 speed trans) with 29K miles has developed a slight whine in 4th gear when it gets up to operating temp. This happens with Formula + and Syn3, but to a lesser degree. Also its more noticeable accelerating and decelerating than at steady speed. Trouble brewing or??

Try switching to Spectro or a similar, higher quality transmission fluid and see what happens.

TOO Many post I've answered on this, so I will just say this;

Many good Gear oils to choose from.

IF you put "Redline ShockProof Heavy" in the bikes Tranny, it will Quiet the noise more than Most other Gear Lubes...

signed....BUBBIE

TOO Many post I've answered on this, so I will just say this;

Many good Gear oils to choose from.

IF you put "Redline ShockProof Heavy" in the bikes Tranny, it will Quiet the noise more than Most other Gear Lubes...

signed....BUBBIE

+1 on the "Redline ShockProof Heavy". Started using it after I read one of Bubbie's many post about it and have not used anything else since. Very thick and trans runs smooth.

The 5 speed was a VERY good tranny, it needed gear oil IMO While gear oil may quiet it down some it is not a cure all with miles on it now

I had a whine in fourth in my 06 Ultra with Spectro Full Synthetic 75w 140 changed to Amsoil 75w 90 and have not heard the whine since. This just happened by accident as I had my bike in to a Indy for some service work and he changed the fluids to Amsoil. I had always used Spectro based on Gliders recommendation. Staying with the Ams.

Back