free website stats program 48 States- Leg 2 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

48 States- Leg 2

Wednesday 6-17

Last night was hot and muggy. By the time it cooled down around midnight, the shower was wasted. Got up at 0400, broke camp and packed the bike in the dark. Finally got underway @ 0600. Stopped 10 minutes later and took a picture of the valley Eureka Springs sits in. Full of fog and nothing moving.
IMG_0205.jpg

Stopped at an abandoned gas station in Pawnee, OK. $1.59. you can’t get it for that anymore.
IMG_02091.jpg

The OK wheat harvest is in full swing, fields being cut everywhere.
IMG_0213.jpg

At times, OK looks like it just goes on forever.
IMG_0214.jpg

Turned hot today. Put on an evaporative cooling vest at 1000. Good thing, it was over 100 degrees today. Would not have made it without the vest. They are great items and I will never tour without one again.

Had to get a picture of the Carrier, OK Town Hall, must be all of 400 sq ft.
IMG_0215.jpg

Around 1400, I had to stop and re-wet the vest, it was almost dry. Felt a lot better after that. About 1630, I could see a bad thunderstorm to the South, and a smaller one to the North. I was heading right for the light area in between, so made a run for it. You see where this is going, don’t you? So there I am, under a picnic table cover, wet, trying to get my rain suit on, watching this massive storm bear down on me. The storm went just to the South of me, but the wind almost blew the bike over. The dust was so thick, it looked like heavy smoke at times. Almost made me wish I had the rain instead of the wind. Good came from it though, there was a 'Welcome to Oklahoma' sign there.
IMG_0219.jpg

After the storm went through, the temperature had dropped into the 70's. Silver lining and all that.

Shut down for the night in Guymon, OK. Almost 1,000 miles into my trip on day 2. Made up the day late due to the late start, and put almost a full day in the bank. Now I can slow down and take it a little easier.

God Bless you brother! I am so envious! I was planning a trip from Florida to NY, but while the trip is still planned - the bike is being trailered - boo hoo!! I'll be checking your postings.

What map are you using in your postings. I have used Livemaps.com. One can plot a route and use vitual push pins with notes and photos to notate where you've been. So what are you using? Looks nice.

hjt

Last edited:
wednesday 6-17

last night was hot and muggy. By the time it cooled down around midnight, the shower was wasted. Got up at 0400, broke camp and packed the bike in the dark. Finally got underway @ 0600. Stopped 10 minutes later and took a picture of the valley eureka springs sits in. Full of fog and nothing moving.
img_0205.jpg

stopped at an abandoned gas station in pawnee, ok. $1.59. You can’t get it for that anymore.
img_02091.jpg

the ok wheat harvest is in full swing, fields being cut everywhere.
img_0213.jpg

at times, ok looks like it just goes on forever.
img_0214.jpg

turned hot today. Put on an evaporative cooling vest at 1000. Good thing, it was over 100 degrees today. Would not have made it without the vest. They are great items and i will never tour without one again.

Had to get a picture of the carrier, ok town hall, must be all of 400 sq ft.
img_0215.jpg

around 1400, i had to stop and re-wet the vest, it was almost dry. Felt a lot better after that. About 1630, i could see a bad thunderstorm to the south, and a smaller one to the north. I was heading right for the light area in between, so made a run for it. You see where this is going, don’t you? So there i am, under a picnic table cover, wet, trying to get my rain suit on, watching this massive storm bear down on me. The storm went just to the south of me, but the wind almost blew the bike over. The dust was so thick, it looked like heavy smoke at times. Almost made me wish i had the rain instead of the wind. Good came from it though, there was a 'welcome to oklahoma' sign there.
img_0219.jpg

after the storm went through, the temperature had dropped into the 70's. Silver lining and all that.

Shut down for the night in guymon, ok. Almost 1,000 miles into my trip on day 2. Made up the day late due to the late start, and put almost a full day in the bank. Now i can slow down and take it a little easier.

:d:d very cool:d:d

Jake, I am so jealous and yet 100% happy for you at the same time. I look out an airplane window at a lot of the places you're going or have gone and daydream about doing exactly what you're actually doing. Keep your travelogue coming and by all means, RIDE SAFE!

Thursday 2009-06-18

Left Guyman, OK about 0800 this morning. Nice to sleep in a little. First thing I found after crossing the TX border as a statute of Big Tex, I think this is a TX tradition.
IMG_0222.jpg

Stopped in Texline, TX to get an ABC picture. The Post Mistress was overcome with curiosity and came out and asked my what I was doing. After a quick explanation, including that I was not a terrorist, she got to talking. Nice lady.
IMG_0223.jpg

Since Texline sits right on the border, the ‘Welcome to NM’ sign was next. Score another point for my ABC’s

As I headed across NM on US 64, I came to Capulin Volcanic National Monument. If you have never been, and are the least interested in geology, stop in for a hour or so. Pretty interesting and you can drive to the top and walk down into the caldera.
IMG_0225.jpg

I then ran across some cowboys on horses herding cattle. Yep, they still do it that way in these parts.
IMG_0226.jpg

Made it to Raton, hopped on I-25 South for 4 miles and then headed West again on US 64. Made it to Cimarron, ‘Where the Rockies Meet the Plains’. Headed up Cimarron Canyon. The temperature started dropping and the mountains were looming to the front of me. Things were looking up.
IMG_0230.jpg

Followed a beautiful little stream up the canyon on my way to Taos. PIC # 0231.
IMG_0231.jpg

A few miles after Taos, the highway crosses the Rio Grande Canyon Bridge. Stop, get a picture. Met 5 guys riding a sport bike, a Honda TransAlpine, an old Triumph, and an old Beemer. Nice guys enjoying the ride.
IMG_0234.jpg

Then passed a community called Earthship. Homes are made of natural materials, use passive heating/cooling, etc. Houses look rather futuristic in many cases.
IMG_0237.jpg

Crossed into CO, found a campground, and crashed for the night.

This has been a great trip so far. I am living it through you. Hope to one day do this myself.Be safe! Keep the info and pic's coming.

Back