free website stats program 48 model owners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

48 model owners

For me, the small tank wouldn't be any problems b/c I plan to use this scoot for local short/fun trips when I don't want to use the bagger. Also agree w/danthern on needing to stretch ~80-100 miles after being on the Sporty. Had same experience w/former XL1200C - even though the 4.5 gal tank could go farther.

48....hard to say more.....
48-14.jpg

WildThang..."I think I Love...your Scoot" ;)

Awesome look'n 48 & you're not making this decision easy. Only problem is getting my wife to say yes.

The wife sat on a 48 at the shop last weekend and fell in love. But second thing she said was "needs apes..." Training her well I guess. So someone please post a pic on one with 14s or 16s on it. Its hard for me to imagine, need the photo

Hey BullDogJim, not only trained her well...she made a good choice to include you in the selection process AND a good eye for an H-D...how cool is that! :p

I love my 48...the tank was an issue, so I swapped it out for a nightster tank, am very pleased.
I rode my friend's 883 (conv 1200) and what I noticed is that the 48 handles better due to the fatter front tire...many may not agree, but that is my humble opinion.

Another thing I noticed is that the 48 didn't make enough noise...an exhaust later she did...

enjoy,

L

The wife sat on a 48 at the shop last weekend and fell in love. But second thing she said was "needs apes..." Training her well I guess. So someone please post a pic on one with 14s or 16s on it. Its hard for me to imagine, need the photo

My wife's 48 with mini apes

Attachments

• IMG_20110115_103028.jpg
    IMG_20110115_103028.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 44
Here is a short video of it. It's changed a little since, but I don't have it right now, so I can't make one,

YouTube - HD 48 my way

2011 48 with
nightster tank,
kesstech exhaust,
Greggs cycles reckless bars
relocated ignition/key/rear blinkers
tank lift
and maybe some other stuff

L

Hey there,

I picked up a '10 Sportster 48 last Sept. I traded in my '09 Buell 1125CR on it given the 1125 was having soooo many electrical issues... and I luv'd the looks of the 48 so my desire to pursue a fix for the 1125 instantly went away... I wanted this 48.

I've owned a '06 Sportster XL883, the aforementioned 1125CR, and currently own a '08 Buell XB12S... ... and of course the 48.

I probably get just as many if not more "cool bike!" comments and looks than I do with the Buells... I LOVE this thing.

A couple cons I've noticed out of the gate- The thing is a ROUGH rider with the stock seat\suspension. I expect a raw ride on a Sporty but there are times when this thing seemed outright dangerous. Going 60~70 mph on a highway jolted the heck out of me when hitting the slightest imperfections... if I was riding 2up I may have lost my passenger...?

Also the stock tank is SMALL. It looks cool but the functionality of it... ehhh... I use my bikes to commute to work which is 80 miles round trip. Every day I topped it off twice to ensure I was good to go. I was getting about 70 miles on a tank... reserve light would come on at about 55 miles.

BUT... once these 2 situations are taken care of its a GREAT bike! I put a Reach seat on which really helps alleviate those jolts... I hardly feel them now. I also replaced the stock 2.2 gal tank with a 3.3 gal Nightser tank. It looks really mean with a rough bulldog sort of front heavy profile.

Recently I had the Stage 1 done to it... Cool looking Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather (naked filter), HB remap download, and V&H Slip ons. It looks, sounds, and takes off amazing. Laying the Hammer down induces the ear to ear grins.

From what bit of research I have done the Stage 1 takes the 48 to about 69~70 RWHorsepower... about the same as the stock XR1200... so its fast (not Buell fast... but certainly fun fast!). I'm hoping to get my bike dyno'd soon to confirm the horses.

Luv'in the 48!

Back