free website stats program 48 model owners | Harley Davidson Forums

48 model owners

Crocker

to all you 48 owners ,I have to say this bike has caught my eye from the time it hit the dealerships , Just my type of machine great styling in my eyes, So if you could let me know you like about it and what you dont ,and what have you done to make it your own , how do you feel it handles and rides compared to the other sportster models. maybe there is one in my future . thanks

Thanks for asking b/c I'm wondering the same. They had a 48 at dealership open house, but the ride line was way too long. I'm pondering this Sporty vs. Iron 883...need something to keep my FLHX company.

Last edited:
I have a 48 and i think its the coolest sporty ever. i was about to buy a nightster then I saw the 48 I was done i bought it a week later. I cant compare how it rides to other sporties because this is my first harley. I can say a friend of mine who races race rockets was suprised by the handling on it. I put a stage one on it and vans and hines short shots and the little buggar screams. anyways i woudnt trade her for anything but here are my pros and cons
pros
looks cool, handles good, has custom look before any customization, tank looks like a chopper tank
cons
slammed suspension beats you up when you hit a hard bump, small tank means you will run out of gas around 100 miles or so, my fuel light pops on at 60 miles or so, no tach, could use a 6th gear over 70

overall anything cool has imperfections thats why its cool, if it was perfect it would ( EDIT )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok 2.2 us gal tank is a given on the .Sporty since the peanut tank style has been offered , but seems like overall ratings of the 48 is everyone is happy, have not ridden one yet is why I am asking this info from all you 48 owners , ive sat on them ,every time I am in a dealership the 48 just calls me over and says sitdown and take a seat ,and the last thing I need rite now is another bike I have a Pan project that I really need to get going on,but they just keep callen to me everytime I see one. So keep the reviews comin .

The 48 is a pretty "classic machine", and yeah it has all the traditional "foibles" and nice-ities...2.1 gal. tank was the first to go on my 2004 XL1200R...

If new iron was the route to nirvana...I would go with the Super Low...new wheels and tires (radial), slightly longer travel suspension, latest technology with a 4.2 gallon tank!

i just ordered the 2011 forty eight, seemed the right size for a family man with 2 young boys. didn't want anything too big or heavy for daily riding. the look of the bike set me off, had to have one. exspect delivery next friday, drop off at my house. talk about service. also while in shop i added the 2-up gear, fender pillion and removeable black sissy, also the stage 1 jets and remapping, V&H short shots, SE heavy breather and 8" mini hangers. the mirrors are still going in the down posistion. all black model, going to change tank out with the nightster 3.3 gallon over the winter. will post pics and video with sound after delivery.

Kick ( EDIT ) bike! Small peanut take is only downfall of bike. Make sure you know where gas stations are when riding on the highway. I installed a set of Vance and Hines pipes along with 14" ape hangers. The hangers make the bike more comfortable not to mention giving it a old school look. Getting ready to install a solo seat as soon as I find a frame cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a 48 for my wife. Very cool bike, handles great and eats twisties. Only con that I see is the small tank but she's ready to stretch her legs every 80 miles or so anyway. I wouldn't change the tank though, after all the "48" refers to the first year that the peanut tank was used on the Sporty. If you change that, it's not really a 48, is it...??

Back