free website stats program 407f tire replacement adventure | Harley Davidson Forums

407f tire replacement adventure

dbinbc

My '09 FLHTC bought new in Feb 2010 had the 407 tires and so I was watching for any signs of wear on the front. It started to cup at just 2500 kilometres so I took it to the dealer and there was no problem at all in getting it replaced with a 408 tire. The dealer always washed the bikes after they have been worked on but I always decline, prefer to do it myself. Its a ride of about 115 kilometres from the dealer to home and as soon as I got home I put the bike up on my jack and gave her a good bath. While sitting at the front wheel polishing the rim I was horrified to see a deep slash right across the face of the tire, deep enough that it penetrated through the tread and into the body. I called and told them about it and said I'd be back the next morning (Saturday) before they were even open to have it dealt with. Their service department is swamped on Saturdays but the service manager met me at the door and took one look at the tire. All he said was "wow, that is serious" and the bike went right in, ahead of all the bikes the had appointments. A NEW 408f was installed. They figured that the first one had been cut by a utility knife when being unpacked from shipping. It should never have been put onto the bike in the first place and could have ended up causing a bad problem had I not noticed it when I did. However, bottom line is dealer was very good about it and did the right thing. Lesson, never trust anyone including dealer mechanics with your bike, check everything very closely before you head home.

Glad you noticed the problem before anything serious happened. Are all the 407 front tires defective?? I have about 10,000 miles on mine and there's no sign of cupping yet.

You are a lucky person. Lucky to have such a great service department and lucky to have found the problem so soon.

Glad you noticed the problem before anything serious happened. Are all the 407 front tires defective?? I have about 10,000 miles on mine and there's no sign of cupping yet.

Are the 408s lasting longer and not cupping like the 407s?

Neil

Are the 408s lasting longer and not cupping like the 407s?

Neil
well for my 408f was on bike w new 7500 m on now. I have h/d stick tire gage the one w/ the metal rod out of end & it has a knurled area. now when i insert it in valley of thread you see almost all of kernels I'm assuming its time to change tire id get 20k on 93 s front tire. my reference there not lasting..

From what I understand, not all the 407's are defective because they check the tire manufacture date before doing a replacement. If you have 10k then you are probably OK with nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on it. You would hear it hum before you could actually see the wear happening.

Well, like I said, no sign of cupping yet but it is giving me a humming noise, particularly in corners. Any idea as to the date of manufacture I should be looking for?

Back