free website stats program 400 miles and the finish has deteriorated on my Street Bob | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

400 miles and the finish has deteriorated on my Street Bob

If you search around you might could find one made closer to your area.

Also some folks make their own from flat strap. Actually the only part that is somewhat difficult is that the tank slides in between the OEM bolt hole brackets. So obviously you have an offset involved in the equation. And since the tank bracket is solid you have to offset from the outside.

The simpliest way around this is to use stainless washers at the tank mount with a longer stainless bolt (acorn head if you can find it).

Or if you have access to a friend with a welder, you can just weld an offset into your bracket (which how most lifts are made) and you are good to go. Sand and paint. Or if you use aluminum sand thru all the grits and then polish.

MTM (the one I bought) makes their lifts out of one solid billet piece of aluminum. A very sturdy mount, but I am thinking of cutting a section out of the bottom so as to route my cables under it instead of having to go over top of it.

Thanks for your help, but they are only sold in the USA and I am in the UK.

Thanks for your help, but they are only sold in the USA and I am in the UK.

Maybe you should start a lift business over there, never can tell you might end up making a bundle before your competion caught up with ya.

Oh and I just realized I had the scenario backwards, the tank has the hole brackets and the frame has the sold cylinder mounts. But same thing, flat strap and washers will work.

I made aluminum bag mounts for my throwover bags because I got tired of the bag harness rubbing the finish off my rear fender. I sanded and polished them and they ended up looking just like the finish on the OEM fender trim. I am now in the process of cutting and bolting plexiglass into my PVC bags to stiffen and straighten them up. Used button head stainless bolts and they look kinda like the decorative studs that some bags come with.

two ways to solve this problem strip and polish them and give them to a autobody shop and have them clear them with a good eurathane clear with hardener added or use black wrinkle paint in a spray can ive used this on my bike and it holds up very well

its the british isle that is the problem. US bikes dont like to be purchased using your royal pound. Try using us dollars and i think you will find everything will be fine.

=================================================

i know, i was only trying to be funny. I guess i dont have that british sense of humor.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know, i was only trying to be funny. I guess i dont have that british sense of humor.

Sorry no chance to reply - we do have a sense of humour. Certainly Harley do or else we wouldn't be paying 50% extra for everything we buy. :D

If I can get an answer about rocker cover removal, I will be getting them powder coated black the same as my cow bell.

Sorry no chance to reply - we do have a sense of humour. Certainly Harley do or else we wouldn't be paying 50% extra for everything we buy. :D

If I can get an answer about rocker cover removal, I will be getting them powder coated black the same as my cow bell.

Admiral did you see PA's blacked rocker covers ? It's in my first pics of Bike Week at Cracker Barrel. His looked great.

Thing is I must be certain - you can buy black rocker covers from the catalogue. I need to be sure you can powdercoat them and they will withstand the heat.

Thing is I must be certain - you can buy black rocker covers from the catalogue. I need to be sure you can powdercoat them and they will withstand the heat.

Go here buddy, they have a Contact button to click on and send them email.
This guy is a member of another forum I belong to. He has done it all with powder, if anyone can tell you for sure it's him. If the price is right for you, the part can be shipped to him and back.

The Powder Pro - Custom Powdercoating and Polishing
Joe Knapp, Chicago IL

Back