free website stats program 4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins

I've read a lot of good things about the Lucas oil and Red Line oil, but I've heard that both of those are high in molybdenums. Have there been any reports of problems with the clutch or are those fears unfounded?

Thanx.

Jim

For Glider; Ok, this is just what I was hoping to find on here, a genuine and impartial test of various oils. My bike is due for it's 5000 service and per my HD dealer I have run the conventional oils until said 5000 service. The way I read the results and your partiality to "Bike 4" (my guess is you still want that one) I want to put those fluids in my bike. So tell me if I have this right; engine oil = Lucas syn 20w50; primary case = the same stuff ; and in the trans Lucas syn 75w90. I am very confused about what to do with this and as I have read everyone will have a different opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but the proof here is in the catch pan right? Your insight Glider is respected and I look forward to your reply. Catch ya later.

Donnie Petersen of AIM fame says 20w/50 motor oil in engine, 10w/40 engine oil in primary and 75w/90 gear oil in tranny, in all Harleys.

For Glider; Ok, this is just what I was hoping to find on here, a genuine and impartial test of various oils. My bike is due for it's 5000 service and per my HD dealer I have run the conventional oils until said 5000 service. The way I read the results and your partiality to "Bike 4" (my guess is you still want that one) I want to put those fluids in my bike. So tell me if I have this right; engine oil = Lucas syn 20w50; primary case = the same stuff ; and in the trans Lucas syn 75w90. I am very confused about what to do with this and as I have read everyone will have a different opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong but the proof here is in the catch pan right? Your insight Glider is respected and I look forward to your reply. Catch ya later.

To put it simply,a quality 20/50 air cooled synthetic oil in the engine (Mobil 1 V Twin is what I use) Formula+ in the primary and a quality gear lube (synthetic also) in the trans 75/90 or 75/140 depending on the temps you ride in.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

What a tragedy that "Not Very PC" was taken from us before he was able to complete his tests.
He is missed, and will be forever remembered.
Rest in Peace old Warrior.

Back