free website stats program 4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins

Maybe I am wrong and please correct me if I am, but I was told by a reliable source on this site that synthetic lubs should not be used in the primary. Something about the friction reducing additives makes the clutch plates too slippery and shifting will be sloppy. So - what is it? Synthetics in primary or regular motor oil - 20w50?

My personal choice is to not switch from what the clutch pack was seated and broken in with. That's where you run in to problems. CVO bikes do "Preaty" good with the SYN3 in their primeries right from the factory but Non- CVO bikes are better with the Formulia+ Gear and Trans lube that they were started on.
I'm running a Barnett Clutch in the BBB with Moible1 V-Twin 20w-50 and I'm loveing it.

Sooo what if I have no earthly idea what it was started and broken in with in the primary? I'm the 3rd owner and didn't even get an owner's manual, much less a service history. I've still got those three quarts of regular screamin eagle 20w50 I was going to put in the oil tank until I started reading all of your test results. Would that be good to put in the primary? I'd hate to end up using $4.00 a quart oil in my lawnmower!
Hate see you do that to a good lawn mower!
In your case I would use Formula + Trans & Primary lube.

My personal choice is to not switch from what the clutch pack was seated and broken in with. That's where you run in to problems. CVO bikes do "Preaty" good with the SYN3 in their primeries right from the factory but Non- CVO bikes are better with the Formulia+ Gear and Trans lube that they were started on.
I'm running a Barnett Clutch in the BBB with Moible1 V-Twin 20w-50 and I'm loveing it.

Only proiblem as I see it with this is that the Syn 3 is not a true synthetic but a group 3 oil that is formulated from dino oil and modified from there. True synthetics are group 4 and better.
I wouldn't even put it in my lawn mower.:D

Back