free website stats program 4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins

Thanks for the reply, was wondering if you would see a difference between wear with the different oils.

Latest update before I leave for Daytona October-fest.
I have the report on the oils from Pollaris labs and will try to get them scanned today but if not I'll get it done as soon as I return home.
Bike #1 will be running HD Syn3 in all 3 holes.
This bike has 10,421 miles and has just had it's 10,000 mile service, Bike is running great with no unusual problems or service requirements. This service required Front & rear break pads (1st change), Front & rear tires (3rd rear tire 2nd front), and head bearing adj. along with oil change.
Bike #2 will be running HD non syn oil in all 3 holes, HD 360 multi-grade 20w50 in the engine, and Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant in the trans & primary. This bike is also running great with 11,050 miles, Same tire wear as bike #1 but no break pad change yet, in fact they look to have at least 1/2 their life left. and no head bearing adj. at this time, oil change showed some metallic shavings on all 3 plugs with heavy deposits on the primary and trans plugs.
Bike #3 will be Mobile1 V-Twin 20w50 full syn in all 3 holes. This bikehad a small ground scuff when a "renter" dropped it in the dealerships parking lot, requiring replacement of the left saddlebag, left grip and mirror. Other than that everything is great with 10,887 miles, it required tires (3rd rear, 2nd front) front Break pads only (rears look new) and head bearing adj. Drain plugs showed only small amounts of gray sluggish build up and no metallic particles.
Bike #4 will be running Lucas Motorcycle 20w50 full syn in the engine and primary with 75w90 full syn in the trans. This bike Is in great shape and noticeablely quieter than the other 3 bikes, It did have to have a spark plug replaced at 7,506 miles but nothing else other than tires.
This service required tires (3rd rear, 2nd front) and front & rear break pads, with the least amount of debris on the drain plugs.

Thanks for the update.

Bike 1 will make a great paper weight and sounds like the alignment was out with that many tires and break pads, I still want bike #4:D

The least amount of debris is a given on #4 and I could have even predicted that. (think I did)

Last edited:
When you said...

"Other than that everything is great with 10,887 miles, it required tires (3rd rear, 2nd front)"

Are you referring to 3 rear and 2 front tires in 10,887 miles?

I noticed you had that in the other bikes info also. Just wondering if I am misunderstanding your meaning here.

When you said...

"Other than that everything is great with 10,887 miles, it required tires (3rd rear, 2nd front)"

Are you referring to 3 rear and 2 front tires in 10,887 miles?

I noticed you had that in the other bikes info also. Just wondering if I am misunderstanding your meaning here.
Coming to you live from Daytona. :14:
Yes. 3rd rear & 2nd front. That is not unusual wear for that part of the world. All Mountains, all curves, all up hill or down. Dealership is located half way between "129 The Dragons Tail" and the "421 Snake" , And most "renters" rent them for that reason.
4-5000 miles for a rear and 9-10,000 for a front, Dunlop is good mileage, same reason we go through so many break pads, clutches & transmissions, around home to.
Crotch rocket boys will go through a set of tires in 1 weekend ridding the "421 Snake-129 Dragon loop"!
If you ride them hard stuff wears out fast! :x
90 curvs in 4 1/2 miles up the mountain to my house!!

Last edited:
Update. 10/16/007
The oil will be rated 1 - 10 , with 10 best and 1 worst

Bike #4 will be running Lucas Motorcycle 20w50 full syn in the engine and primary with 75w90 full syn in the trans.
Bike #4 had by far the least metallic and non-metallic particles overall , it's acid & carbon levels were best everywhere except the engine, where it's acid level was 2nd lowest and it's carbon level was also 2nd lowest. Score 8.5

Bike #3 will be Mobile1 V-Twin 20w50 full syn in all 3 holes.
Bike #3 was 2nd lowest in over all particle count, only to the oil used in bike #4, the acid level and carbon level of it's engine oil were lowest of all oils tried. Score 8.0

Bike #1 will be running HD Syn3 in all 3 holes.
Bike #1 was 2nd highest in the overall particles found in the oil and also 2nd highest in acid and carbon found. It showed high levels of "Gear Metal Particles" in the trans oil. Score 5

Bike #2 will be running HD non syn oil in all 3 holes, HD 360 multi-grade 20w50 in the engine, and Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chain-case Lubricant in the trans & primary.
Bike #2 had the highest amount of particles of all the oils and it's acid and carbon levels (engine levels were alarming) were much higher then any of the other oils, It's primary oil showed early signs of a burnt clutch. Score 3

That's the way it is for now . More to come.

Great test, thanks for sharing the results with us. Just goes to show what the actual results were with the various oils that are used.

I still want bike #4:D

Great Stuff PC. It sure is nice to see a test that's NOT performed by someone trying to sell a product. Seems their product always has the best test results.

Way to go NVPC !!!!!! Been waitng to see and hear how these tests went and the final outcome.Outstandng job and a great idea you came up with. As the ol saying goes, "Show me.........don't tell me !" The results speak "volumes" for us all.Again, "Way to Go" NVPC ! :majesty :majesty :majesty:ap :thanks

Back