free website stats program 4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

4 bikes - 4 oils, the test begins

Glider
I have a 2004 1200R I've been toying with the idea of 75/90 in the primary. What is your opinion. I value it!!!! I have heard so many thoughts on this. Ride Safe Doug

PA

The sporty being the one in the lineup that shares oils between components primary/trans , you may find that the 75/90 would cause some clutch drag as compared to the recommended oil for that bike. JMHO

It would be beneficial for the trans but ? in the primary.

Last edited:
Rode bike #4 Monday & Tuesday {lucas oil, 586miles total} and I really liked the way it shifted with the 75w90 in the trans. No 5th gear whine. Other than that it runs and rides like a Roadking. The other 3 bikes are out as rentals.
More info as I get it.

The biggest improvement in shifting on most of the HD transmissions is the addition of a good gear oil over any 20/50 etc. engine oil. It just makes things slide so much better when they are hot.

Lucas products are very good quality too so that makes more of a difference here too.

75-90 or 75-140 in hotter climates.

All 4 bikes have had at least 1 complete (after break-in change) fluid change with 1 bike on it's 2nd engine change.
No problems with any of them at this point. I've rode them all now on trips rangeing from 300 to nearly 2000 miles.
There is noticable differance in any of the 4.
More Data as it comes in.

Did you make note of the ferrous metals on the drain plugs from one bike to another using different oils?

Did you make note of the ferrous metals on the drain plugs from one bike to another using different oils?
Yes, and Oil samples of each oil from each bike was sent to POLARIS Laboratories, LLC. For a full Oil Analysis.
Visually they all looked the same. when I get to see the report i'll post it.

I should have made my post a bit more clear. What I was referring to is the build up of metal on the magnet in the drain plug, especially the trans where it is usually more noticable to compare the wear associated with the different oils.

I just re read your post, looks like you answered that question.

all of the drain plugs had "about" the same metallic build up. no noticeable difference, no "chunks or shavings" that could be felt or seen.

Back