free website stats program 3yr 30k mile Maintenance Plan | Harley Davidson Forums

3yr 30k mile Maintenance Plan

bikernick

I got my 2009 Road King and love it. As I approach my 1000k mile service I am contemplating purchasing my local dealers Maintenance plan. The plan costs around $1450.00 and covers alll scheduled services for 3 years/30k miles, includes upgrade to all synthetic. As this is my first Harley, I am unfamiliar with maintenance costs. Does this sound like a worthwhile investment.

I am not a mechanic and am somewhat leary of doing my own maintenance. Changing fluids, etc. would not be a problem but some of the other more technical requirements have me leary of doing my own maintenance.

I got my 2009 Road King and love it. As I approach my 1000k mile service I am contemplating purchasing my local dealers Maintenance plan. The plan costs around $1450.00 and covers alll scheduled services for 3 years/30k miles, includes upgrade to all synthetic. As this is my first Harley, I am unfamiliar with maintenance costs. Does this sound like a worthwhile investment.

I am not a mechanic and am somewhat leary of doing my own maintenance. Changing fluids, etc. would not be a problem but some of the other more technical requirements have me leary of doing my own maintenance.

Did your RK come from the factory with Syn. already in it?

No - the bike did not come with synthetics. Also, just for clarification, this is not an extended warranty. It's a service plan with the price covering all scheduled maintenance intervals throughout the duration.

Just a word of advice here. If you have a few hand tools , get the manual and do your own services. You know it was done and you have control over what is used.

Just a word of advice here. If you have a few hand tools , get the manual and do your own services. You know it was done and you have control over what is used.

Agree. After reading through many service tips and maintenance procedures here on this site I will do my own from here forward. My wife bought and paid for a 10,000 mile service for my bike for Christmas.

After everything I read here I will be doing all my own oil changes. But am not sure about doing any adjustments. And think that any of the major services will be done by the dealer.

You say it covers "scheduled" maintenance. Does that mean they will change your oil every 5000 miles, or can you take it in every 3000 miles? Even if they would do it every 3000, that's still only 10 oil changes if you get it up to 30,000 before your 3 years is up. That's $150 per service at 3000 mile service intervals. As you can see if you do the math you end up getting the short end at that price. Salesmen are good at making it sound like a good idea to spend more money.

Thanks All. After reviewing some of the other posts from those that took the leap and did their own maintenance, I'm leaning towards taking my bike in for the 1000 mile service and then investing in a lift and some tools/manual to do some of my own maintenance. It will also give me the opportunity to become more familiar with ride.

When I bought my Ultra, I thought the same thing as bikernick. I purchased the 10k maint. plan. Since then, with the help of this forum, I cancelled the plan and want to do the maint. myself.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. It is the best I have come across!!

Back