free website stats program 3rd Gear Rattle | Harley Davidson Forums

3rd Gear Rattle

franka

Riding my 07 Road King and sounded like the bike was coming apart! Loud rattling sound primarily in 3rd gear and especially under 2500 rpm. Also when accelerating in third gear as well, once I get the rpm at 3 or above it goes away. Came home and checked all exhaust connections, found the header bolts on the front jug a bit loose, some loose heat shields and a sheared bolt on the left rear exhaust bracket. Fixed everything and most of the rattle is gone but still some intermittent rattle and still primarily in third gear. The only thing I have done differently since this began is change tranny fluid to Spectro 6 speed.
Any ideas??????????????

Thanks Glider as soon as I get some decent weather (been raining in Seattle, imagine that) I'll give it a try and get back to the forum. Thanks for the quick response!

Just returned from trying the 1st gear to 30 hard back brake and it did remove the 3rd gear rattle, however still rattles quite loudly at freeway speed in 5th gear. Makes me think that the 1st gear to 30 worked but not sufficiently to tighten up chain tension in 5th and 6th gear?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back