free website stats program 3000k ride on a wideglide | Harley Davidson Forums

3000k ride on a wideglide

00BUCKSHOT

i was thinking about a good long ride just to see some of this great country we live in i intend on making this trip on my wideglide.i have a windshield and saddlebags for it.i figure i'll go 1500 miles and turn around and come home that way i don't have to change my oil in a motel parking lot lol..my thing i'm asking help with is what do you guys think would be the koolest places to ride to?i know i want to ride west just not sure if i wanna go due west northwest or southwest lol i live in the upstate of south carolina now i did think about riding to keywest but last time i was in florida i was not impressed by the swamps and cubans lol. i'd like to avoid interstates if if can west texas?south dakota?gimmie some ideas tell me about some of the long hauls you guys have made.thanks,john

Up state New York has some of the best country to see anywere.
people only think of New York city when you think new york.
Go around the big cities and state like Pennsylvania is like being in a different world.
And some roads that will test your riding skills. and give you some long last thrills.

lol i'm used to those kinds of roads smitty i live 20min from the smokey mountians lol
but i'm all for fun twisty roads!

I wouldn't bother with West Texas. Miles and miles of boring scrub land. Big Bend is cool, but the ride to get there is tedious. Why we fought Mexico over that lame territory is a mystery to me.

lol i get what you guys are saying
i flew out to las vegas once
i thought it was neat........for about 5 min
i thought the desert had miles of sand?nope little brown rocks as far as you can see lol

You mentioned South Dakota, one of my favorite rides was through Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota Badlands. You could get that and Mount Rushmore in South Dakota at the same time. Did 989 miles from 5 friday afternoon till 6 sunday night on a sporty that weekend. And was never uncomfortable. Wow, what a weekend!

You mentioned South Dakota, one of my favorite rides was through Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota Badlands. You could get that and Mount Rushmore in South Dakota at the same time. Did 989 miles from 5 friday afternoon till 6 sunday night on a sporty that weekend. And was never uncomfortable. Wow, what a weekend!

is there many camp grounds in that area?

is there many camp grounds in that area?

I personally did not camp there but did see some campgrounds. Talked to one individual who thought it was just the greatest thing to wake up in the morning, poke his head outside and have buffalo meandering through the campground. Not sure I want just a tent wall between me and a buffalo.

I wouldn't bother with West Texas. Miles and miles of boring scrub land. Big Bend is cool, but the ride to get there is tedious. Why we fought Mexico over that lame territory is a mystery to me.

MWGB, agree with you 100%, West Texas has got to be the longest stretch of "nothing" road I have ever ridden...reminds me of the Mars Rover panoramic shots, a whole lot of nothing goin' on " --as far as the eye can see...I think the term "--over yonder" came from there...:newsmile040:

I was just starting to like you guys when you started messing with Texas. To each his own.

West Texas covers a lot of ground. More square miles than most states. I would not recommend riding a thousand miles to get there as you would be disappointed. On the other hand, it you happen to pass through on the way to somewhere else and enjoy riding for miles and miles without having to stop every 15 minutes, you just might enjoy it. There is something about the openess that appeals to me sort of like the western movies they made in the 50's.

Now as to the reason we fought Mexico for it. Early settlers came to Texas because they were given a fair chunk of land if they would stay. In those days land, even scrub brush, was something to have. Like the American revolution, the Texicans fought over oppression and taxation without representation. The fact that an all volunteer army defeated a much larger professional Mexican army says alot about the grit of those people. Maybe it is just because I was born here I feel a kinmanship for those brave souls who also had to deal with Comanche and Apache indians plus a bunch of smaller tribes.

I am not knocking other parts of the country and there are many places I would love to see. Maybe I will see you on the road and if you feel so inclinded to come visit us, we would be glad to have you.

Back