free website stats program 30,000 on an '07 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

30,000 on an '07

Update: Well I got good news and bad. The good news is the Secondary tensioner doesn't have a wear mark on it and looks Bran Spankn' New. The Bad news.........I pulled it apart and spent $150 on new push rods for nothin' O' well, at least now I know. I haven't checked the crank run out as of yet but I plan on it.......But like a local Indi. asked me when I told him, What do you do if its too far out. Stay with chain drive cams and ride it.
I don't think I'm gonna change anymore parts for now, I just hope I don't break something during assembly.:s

Great info. So the inside one was perfect. I was really expecting it to be worn. I would have pulled it apart also.

So you thinking crankshaft run-out to be the reason. Let us know what you find for run-out.
You really have my curiosity going now.

WS97...here is the thread where Bud inspected and replaced his tensioner shoes.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/engine_fuel_and_exhaust/28437-hyd_tensioner_setup_not_all_its_cracked_up_to_be.html

I noticed a difference in color of the tensioners in Wildspirits pics (orange) and the ones in the link to Buds pics (tan). I know one bike is '07 and one is '08. Is Harley using different materials, or is it just a difference in photos? I know one was with phone cam, but background colors look ok.

Last edited:
History on the engine?
50k on my 07 and many riders I know with even more miles and no problems with cam chains.
There has to be a reason.

Have you or your friends inspected yours at 50K and plus. He was not having an issue.

I'm happy with a little wine, very little.

.030" of what. Where did you measure that.
.03 of an inch measured at the end of the Crank Shaft. Right where the shaft rides in the bushing in the cam support plate. I could tell the bushing was oblong just by looking at it.
I had a problem with my Primary chain Auto tensioner over tightening and my compensator loosening A while back and the Crank run out was supposed checked. If it was or not I don't know for sure but I doubt it. That was at 13000 miles. I Have a feeling all that is related.

WS97, another thing I noticed with the chains, the finish on the links when bike is new have pretty sharp edges, so initial wear on the tensioner shoes are probably high as the shoe surfaces get "work hardened" with use (besides weari) that is probably why the brown color in the grooves on Jonas' pictures. Obviously in your case the chain has been on the metal a bit so the brown grooves are nonexistant.

Breeze bought up a good point, MOCO probably has different vendors of those tensioner shoes and materials used. All part of 2nd sourcing and manufacturering pricing and delivery contract issues..."--and continuing improvement"!

.03 of an inch measured at the end of the Crank Shaft. Right where the shaft rides in the bushing in the cam support plate. I could tell the bushing was oblong just by looking at it.
I had a problem with my Primary chain Auto tensioner over tightening and my compensator loosening A while back and the Crank run out was supposed checked. If it was or not I don't know for sure but I doubt it. That was at 13000 miles. I Have a feeling all that is related.

.030" is the distance of a spark plug gap. I thought you had the decimal point in the wrong spot. I can't believe you did not feel that while the engine was running.

Sorry to hear that. You have some serious problems.

Back