free website stats program 3"primary belt drives | Harley Davidson Forums

3"primary belt drives

cruzmrb

Has anyone had any experience dealing with 3" primary belt drives affecting starting problems?
My understanding is because they are more direct, there is less (give) to allow the engine to turn over.
2003 Dyna Low Rider, fuel injected, custom headlight.
Battery is new, cables & contacts clean & tight.
Engine barely turns over cold but starts most times. Hot doesn't turn over past compression..

Never saw problems like that as you have less rotating mass. Rode a 74 Super glide and a sturgis model both belt drives and had no problem starting kick start on the super glide and it was a 2 kick to start:s

Is the starter OEM , whats the volts,ohms,amps reading , what is the CCA on the new battery??

Battery has 310 c.c.a. which was the highest I could find to fit the Dyna.
Haven't tried cranking test yet, never done one. I have done a fair bit of wrenching but electrical has always been my achilles.. I do have a multi-meter can it be checked with that?
I don't know much about the history of the bike, I believe the starter is original.
The bike also has an aftermarket headlight (halogen more draw?), and a 6 speed tranny was installed

Last edited:
Engine barely turns over cold but starts most times. Hot doesn't turn over past compression..

Are you starting the bike in neutral or in Gear with the clutch pull in.

What do have your ignition timing set at during cranking. (Delphi standard spark advance curves?)

Any chance you have an induction amp meter to measure cranking current the starter is drawing while cranking?

If not, what is the voltage across the battery while the engine is cranking or trying to crank.

Didn't see your reply until now, thanks for the help.
When I start the bike (always in neutral & clutch pulled in), I haven't done Ignition timing on the bike & have no idea what (Delphi spark advance curves are). I don't own an induction amp meter.
I've done more work on older cars pre computers in cars. I don't own an obd II tester or know how to work one. My buddy's more capable with that level of knowledge. I might be able to get his help.

Appreciate all the advice, I'll get back to you when I manage the time to test it.
Thanks.

Can you put a torque wrench on the clutch pack nut to see what the parasitic drag measures out at. Check to see if it is crazy high.

Back