free website stats program 3.5 quarts oil ???? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

3.5 quarts oil ????

Well, I took 14 oz.'s out , rode it, and it's STILL over. I quit, I'll check it after tomorrows ride.

A simple solution would be to drain all the oil out of the motor into a clean drain pan. Leave the filter on if it's new. Pour the new oil back into the quart containers and then pour two quarts into the oil tank. You'll still have oil in the filter and some left in the motor, so start with two quarts. Ride it a little and re-check. Add as needed. Rinse and repeat. :D When the level is just right, I'd check it several times for the first week or two just to make sure it's holding steady at the proper level. That's the way I'd do it if it were mine. Good luck.

Glazier - I have a 2001 Heritage and it came (used) with the aftermarket dipstick with thermometer. with my bike on jiffystand - I read NOTHING on that dipstick - I lean it upright, and it shows about right. Perhaps I am low on engine oil ;-( The dipstick, like yours, says to check on jiffy stand but my manual says to check upright. I like the idea of checking on the jiffy stand so maybe I need to add oil??? when I change oil - I put in the proper amount per the manual.

Bill

You know Bill, I was thinking that maybe since you bought your bike used and it already had the aftermarket dipstick, it's possible its not the right dipstick for your bike and thats why you're not getting any oil showing on it. If you've added what the manual says (3 1/2 qts.) then it should be over full slightly and would definitely show up on the dipstick. Also, new oil on the chrome dipstick is hard to see sometimes. Clean oil against a chrome background makes it look like there's nothing there when there really is. I recently bought an aftermarket chrome tranny dipstick and changed the fluid to Amsoil, which is very clear. I can't see any on the dipstick, but if I run my finger over it, it shows up on my finger. I'm getting ready to change over to Spectro so I can see it better. And FYI, when my bike is at the proper level and on the jiffy stand, I can look into the oil tank and the oil level is about 3/4 of the way full in the tank. Sometimes thats more scientific than the dipstick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubster

Sumping would cause a low oil level because it's all in the motor cavity and not in the tank.

Glidster,:D

YES I KNOW,,,, My thinking is that he drained the oil..... Not knowing How much He drained out.... Then FILLED it with ALL the oil his manual called out to use.(wrong way)

Then He adds the new filter (3.5 quarts of oil total) and says it IS Way Over filled, After he starts it and runs it... Now The Sumped oil is PUMPING Back INTO the oil tank Over Filling the Bike.....Where Else would all THAT oil come from?????.....

I have Seen this happen....
Take My sportster for example,,,, It allows oil to seep down into the motor over time sitting.. and IF I added Oil when checking it cold It would Flood oil all over when i started it and it tried to pump all that EXTRA oil back into the tank...

Yes I know what I meant by Sumping ie; oil in the bottom of the engine... Is what I think his problem May Be.

signed....BUBBIE

I take my bike for a wee run to warm the oil up and ensure as much as possible of the contaminants are in the oil before i drain it
Should be only a little oil left in the sump and the oil flows out well as it is warm
I just have to be careful of the exhaust so that i don't burn myself it is much easier to get to the drain plug if i remove the front muffler essential if i am draining the gearbox so i wear thick gloves for that task
i fill till it is correct on the dipstick for a cold engine and take the bike out for a wee run to get the oil hot for a final check of level

Brian

I must be missing something here. The OP's avatar says he has an Electra Glide but they don't have oil tanks do they? So I don't know how his oil tank is full to the top. If he was changing oil on a softail and didn't run the motor before draining the oil he could have oil sumped down to the crank and it wouldn't have drained out when he drained the tank. That would explain the extra oil he's got. Not sure what kind of bike he's changing oil on. Nobody changes oil without warming up the motor and oil first do they?

I must be missing something here. The OP's avatar says he has an Electra Glide but they don't have oil tanks do they? So I don't know how his oil tank is full to the top. If he was changing oil on a softail and didn't run the motor before draining the oil he could have oil sumped down to the crank and it wouldn't have drained out when he drained the tank. That would explain the extra oil he's got. Not sure what kind of bike he's changing oil on. Nobody changes oil without warming up the motor and oil first do they?

It looks like a softail with the 3 1/2 qts in the book and look at the sig line in post #1
The EG would be listed with 4 qts but you can only usually get 3 1/2 in without overfilling it.

Our bikes should be the same. But like I posted before, I get the same reading with the stock dipstick and the bike upright as compared to the thermometer dipstick on the jiffy stand. Just a suggestion, but you might want to buy a stock dipstick and compare the two. Is your thermometer the digital or old fashioned type? Mine is the old fashioned type.
I have to old fashioned type too. I just might purchase as original replacement dipstick to check the new one with -- good idea thanks

Bill

I did 3 1/2 qts on my Heritage once, and it was overfull....so this last change I went with 3 qts. and it was fine. Could the 3.5 quarts mean 3 quarts, 5 ounces? As opposed to 3 quarts, 16 ounces. (3 1/2 qts.) Just a thought......

I did 3 1/2 qts on my Heritage once, and it was overfull....so this last change I went with 3 qts. and it was fine. Could the 3.5 quarts mean 3 quarts, 5 ounces? As opposed to 3 quarts, 16 ounces. (3 1/2 qts.) Just a thought......

The difference is a dry fill verses a wet fill link when you change the oil. Always when changing oil, put in about 1/2 quart less that it suggests and recheck the level on the dipstick when HOT. If it needs more, then just add to bring the level up to the level on the stick.

Back