free website stats program 3.5 quarts oil ???? | Harley Davidson Forums

3.5 quarts oil ????

I just got my shop manual today and did the oil change, all 3 holes. I changed the oil filter also. When I checked the engine oil, the tank is slam full !!! The manual said add 3.5 quarts, which is exactly what I did, but it is full, right up to the bottom of the filler neck at the top of the tank???
To head off the obvious questions, yes, ALL old oil was drained, no I didn't add any oil to the filter before I installed it.

Any ideas why it's so full?

When doing an oil change on any harley, never go by the listed amount of oil in the book. No matter how thorough the drain you do, there is always about 1/2 quart left in the oil galleries inside the engine.
Always put in 3 quarts in your case where it lists 3 1/2 and check the oil level HOT after running it a while, then add if needed.

I've been doing the maintenance and other stuff to my other Harleys for years and never saw this. I just went and siphoned a little out and am going to heat it back up and re-check.

teacher, i would recommend putting a few ounces of oil in the oil filter whenever you change it. i agree with gliders post as well and add when checking oil level, check while bike is resting on jiffy stand

I've been doing the maintenance and other stuff to my other Harleys for years and never saw this. I just went and siphoned a little out and am going to heat it back up and re-check.
I ALSO have found that the Amount it says and what it takes are Not always exact..
On my 09 FLHR, I always fill the oil filter once to the threads and let That soak in and install it. Then add the BALANCE of the three quarts to the oil tank..... Warm out for a short ride and then put in the amount needed to bring it up to the Middle of the stick which is about a 1/4" low off the Full when Hot mark.

So,,, out of 4 quarts I probably have 5/8 to 3/4 qt. left...

Out of 3.5 quarts it usually only takes 3.4 at the most..

signed....BUBBIE

teacher, i would recommend putting a few ounces of oil in the oil filter whenever you change it. i agree with gliders post as well and add when checking oil level, check while bike is resting on jiffy stand

My manual says to check the oil level with the bike upright, not on the jiffy stand. Thats with the stock dipstick. I bought a dipstick with a thermometer in the top, and the instructions said to check the oil level with the bike resting on the jiffy stand. Last oil change I wanted to be sure they were both accurate, so I checked it upright with the stock dipstick, and on the stand with the thermometer dipstick and they both showed the same level. And my manual says 3 1/2 quarts also, but I guess thats if its bone dry. I add 3 qts. and go from there.

Different years and models differ in the way of checking oil. Check your manual to be sure with all models to be sure.

Would a 103 hold more oil than a 96, which would hold more than an 88, or do they all hold the same amount of oil??? I'm guessing they would all hold about 3 1/2 qts. bone dry, but thats strictly a guess.

Would a 103 hold more oil than a 96, which would hold more than an 88, or do they all hold the same amount of oil??? I'm guessing they would all hold about 3 1/2 qts. bone dry, but thats strictly a guess.

The differences between the motors mentioned are in bore and stroke. The oil quantities remain about the same in all.

Wet fill and dry fill (at the factory ) would be about the only difference in quantities but in the field they are all wet fill measurements unless the entire engine has been disassembled.

Back