3/4 axle

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by steel horse rider, Oct 11, 2014.

is it possible to convert a 1 inch axle wheel into a 3/4 axle is there an insert a person can buy to do this

1. mikeymanbike

mikeymanbike Member

What pray tell is the reason for this change? Necessity is the mother hood of invention! May take a different wheel, don't know, can be done...

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

With the combination of proper spacers and bearings it can be done.

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Change the bearings to 3/4". The outside dia. and thickness of bearings is the same (except for ABS).

4. flst89

flst89 Member

Because earlier model year bikes used 3/4" axles...

5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

As Breeze3t stated, I believe to be true. However the diameter of the lower legs for the axle is different(larger). There may be your problem. I haven't seen any shim reducer for that, they may exist though. Do you have a set of earlier legs?
    tourbox

6. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Have changed front/rear wheels on my '02 FLHT from 16" to 18" and the front wheel on my Deuce from the OEM wheel to a Breakout wheel. The Deuce front is a 3/4" axle and there are no 3/4" bore bearings available that are the same width of the 3/4" bearing; same OD but not width. Looked at several options and final solution was using the 1" bore bearings with axle reducers and trimming the axle spacers to allow for the thickness of the reducer flange.

Wheel Bearing Adapter Kit, 1Motorway Engineering Co.