free website stats program 24v starting | Harley Davidson Forums

24v starting

I see a lot of people put in comp release valves for the higher comp motors. Has anyone used a 24v starting system on their bikes? I use a lithium ferrous for a secondary battery and get tons of starts without a recharge. The starter sees twice the voltage but only half the amps and for the short time the starter is energized, appears to not be an issue.

Not to beat a dead horse but, and I know I am showing my age here, we switched allot of 6 volt cars and trucks over to 12 volts but left the starters alone, they did stand the test of time, the key is short cranking time and a good tune. Many diesel trucks start on 24 volts then switch back to 12 volts for charging, Schleen Electric developed a very good system back in the early 50s

Quite a few dragbikes are doing this now without an issue with the starters. I was running 14.8/1 comp on the street and hot starting was no problem. Those comp release valves solved the problem but was wondering if anyone took a different route.

Not to beat a dead horse but, and I know I am showing my age here, we switched allot of 6 volt cars and trucks over to 12 volts but left the starters alone, they did stand the test of time, the key is short cranking time and a good tune. Many diesel trucks start on 24 volts then switch back to 12 volts for charging, Schleen Electric developed a very good system back in the early 50s

YES Jack, We're BOTH "old duffers"... I changed out my battery to an 8 volt,,, NOT uncommon in my youthful days to do just that.. Bigger battery cables left on the old to new conversions was a Bonus..

I would agree that the life of the starter would not be impaired IF done the way described and NOT abusive looong cranking,,, ADDED Heat will KILL..

signed....BUBBIE

AliveAgain,,, Your that smart and I GAVE YOU that Long PM..:coffee

guess it wasn't needed,,, if I read correctly around your Posting here..:D

BUBBIE

Not to beat a dead horse but,

The horse is not dead yet. :)

Since the voltage is doubled, the current would double, but in this case the starter will turn faster thereby reducing the "imposed load" on the battery. (the imposed load changes according to the RPM of the motor) So lets say the current draw was 100 amps with a 12 volt battery. It won't be 200 with a 24 volt battery but it probably be something around the 160 area since the motor is turning faster than before. Point being there will be an increase in current, not a reduction as was originally stated.. No biggie, just needed to now call the horse officially dead.:)

And besides, I am watching the Casey Anthony case on TV and listening to these lawyers is making me think like one.:p

AliveAgain,,, Your that smart and I GAVE YOU that Long PM
Don't confuse intelligence with curiosity. I'm just smart enough to get into trouble. I tried my luck on a different brand and will keep it just for the track.

IMG_0023.jpg

The secondary battery fits in nice in the tail with the power commander and nitrous system.

One small correction. In that picture, I had a regular battery right over the clutch cover. When I changed it to the lithium battery, I was able to put it in the tail. Tried everything, even increasing the size of the cable to lower resistance but one battery would not work.

Back