free website stats program 22 Amp or 32 Amp Stator | Harley Davidson Forums

22 Amp or 32 Amp Stator

Joe_B

I have a 1983 FLH with what I believe to be a stock 22 amp charging system that is not charging after changing the regulator I have determined the stator is shorted so since I have to replace the stator anyway should I upgrade it to 32 amp stator and if I do will I also have to replace the regulator again and rotor or are the rotor and regulator the same with a 22 amp and 32 amp system the only thing I have added electrically is I upgraded the single filament turn signals to dual filament turn signal/marker lights I do have spotlights that I like to use all the time any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I have a 1983 FLH with what I believe to be a stock 22 amp charging system that is not charging after changing the regulator I have determined the stator is shorted so since I have to replace the stator anyway should I upgrade it to 32 amp stator and if I do will I also have to replace the regulator again and rotor or are the rotor and regulator the same with a 22 amp and 32 amp system the only thing I have added electrically is I upgraded the single filament turn signals to dual filament turn signal/marker lights I do have spotlights that I like to use all the time any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Whole system has to match - stator, rotor and VR. What VR did you get?

TQ

The VR I got is a Custom Chrome the label says

Fits all big twin models from
1981 thru 1988 (OEM 74516-86)
MFG# H1886

It does not say what the amp rating is

The MFG# maybe 1686 not 1886 the label is smeared

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told by HD mechanics to replace Stator and VR in sets. Changing your filments will have very little increase amps.

High amp items heated grips, vests , trailers and stereos would cause load that may require an upgrade.

The regulator you got is for a 22 Amp stator only. If you can afford it then change over to a 32 Amp regulator, stator and rotor. It will be well worth it in better battery charging, etc.

So If I use the voltage regulator I have then I need to replace the stator and rotor with a 22 amp model and if I want a 32 amp system then I need to replace the stator, rotor and voltage regulator. also I have one more question why are some stators molded in plastic? And is it better to get one that is molded or not?

Thanks

The molder ones will run hotter. The open ones get cooled by the primary oil or so I was told by a Harley mechanic but then I am prone to believing in placebos too.

Back