free website stats program 21k Miles | Harley Davidson Forums

21k Miles

IR Rick

Just hit 21K on mileage is there anything i should be looking at??:D
I see i'm going to have to get the Sec. new rear tire.
but has anybody seen things that may be showing it's time to replaced, I hate sitting on the side of the road:31:

21K on an '09. Wow you ride & enjoy,, that's good.
Your looking for maintenance items due to time/mileage or items that would leave you on the side of the road.

At 12k my 2 allen bolts were loose the 2 that hold my exhaust bracket on lower tranny cover rt side. & 3 smaller Allen's that hold oil tank on same area rt side underneath..

Just hit 21K on mileage is there anything i should be looking at??:D
I see i'm going to have to get the Sec. new rear tire.
but has anybody seen things that may be showing it's time to replaced, I hate sitting on the side of the road:31:

Obviously your fluids including brake (flush 150% and bleed) and forks and oil filter. Inspect the tires, brake pads, pop the nose cone (cam cover) off to check the pads on the hydraulic tensioners and eyeball the primary chain tensioner shoe if you have an inspection plate. Lube the neck bearings if you have a zerk. Remove, wire brush clean and reconnect both mating sides of both ends of both battery cables (neg off first/on last). Check tightness of all grounds.

TQ

Obviously your fluids including brake (flush 150% and bleed) and forks and oil filter. Inspect the tires, brake pads, pop the nose cone (cam cover) off to check the pads on the hydraulic tensioners and eyeball the primary chain tensioner shoe if you have an inspection plate. Lube the neck bearings if you have a zerk. Remove, wire brush clean and reconnect both mating sides of both ends of both battery cables (neg off first/on last). Check tightness of all grounds.

TQ

Now that's the way to take care of a machine. Great list.!

Fuel Filter, Fuel Filter, Fuel Filter. And in case I didn't mention it, Fuel Filter. We have had a rash of restricted fuel filters. Most of them well over 75% restricted and one almost 100%.

Had one on a 2006 FLSTNI that was not only almost 100 percent restricted but also had the fuel regulator pop out of its housing and break the housing support leg. This bike sounded and ran like pure (EDIT) , spitting and sputtering and backfiring through the intake. Also the engine was running extremely hot due to the lean condition that it was running under.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

TQ

Thanks for the info; I have done a lot of maintenance too try to keep the repair bills down:s

What I’m looking for is what parts that may be ready to give up, so I can change them before I have to call a tow truck, I have manage fleets over the years and what I have seen some parts would give up around the same mileage,
I have until end of June 2011 before warranty runs out, so I what to get as many miles on before she’s out of warranty, What to get my money worth. If weather permits I should have around 35k at the end of two years,

It’s all about cost of ownership on this bike, get as many miles on her at the low cost of operation.

I did check on trading her in on a 2011 SEGlide, the Dealer will sale the 2011 at MSRP and give me $4000 less then what I have in the 2009, I’m thinking a $ 4k hit on 21k miles mite not be bad????:p

With a rigorous maintenance schedule (more conservative then recommended from HD), you should be able to stave off unplanned failure items as I am sure you know from your fleet mgmt. experience. The tensioner shoes are still a bit of a mystery with respect to how they are wearing/failing. Worth looking at them. Brakes are brakes, and you know what to do there. All the other stuff above is just good practice kind of stuff.

I do not have a list of "this stuff is gonna fail within xxK miles" that you should do preventive maintenance replacement on except as above. Stuff happens, of course, but there are often contributing factors associated with routine maintenance practices, or riding style.

TQ

Back