free website stats program 21in wheel upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

21in wheel upgrade

rkrdr2

I was looking at the new Bagger magazine and most of the bikes they show are running a 21-23in front wheel. Is anyone running one of these on their Touring bike? If so how did it effect the handling. I can not imagine running a 900+lb bike with a front tire that has such a small contact patch would be an improvement in handling...must be strictly a cosmetic add-on!...just like the ape hangers on a bike that places your hand's above the fairing...I thought the fairing was for protection,I guess it's become just a place to hold the stereo.

I will be doing the same mod on my bagger. I had a 21 on my 05 Heritage and it rode better than stock. I say do it, it's your bike.

I put a 21" on my streetglide. It definetaly will corner differently, it wants to roll into the corners easier. It took a little while to get used to it but after a hour or so got real comfortable with it and the 21" looks great.

I have the 21 on the Street Glide and the handling seems to be improved to me. The steering feels lighter and more responsive. The only thing I don't like is that it raises the front about 1 inch. This can be corrected by changing the front springs. Other than that I love it and you will too.:newsmile011:

For those that are running the 21" , are you still using the stock fender? If so, what if any, mods have to be done?

Depends on your tire......I bought my set from HOG PRO and they said that I might have to losen the rear bolt on the fender and tilt the fender up from the rear for clearance, but I used avons and no mods were required.....nothing rubs.

The mod to your stock fender is really easy and I would recommend it. The tire will NOT rub when you mount it up on a stand and spin it to check the clearances, but when you get up to highway speeds it may rub slightly on the back side just behind the forks because at higher speeds the tire "grows" slightly. To do the mod just remove the fender, drill out the Rear mounting holes to 3/8" (which is barely bigger than it already is) and when you bolt it back up lift up on the back of the fender as high as it will go and hold it there as you tighten it up.
Have fun picking out the wheels! ...took me forever to decide!

Back