free website stats program 21'' wheel question. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

21'' wheel question.

By changing the front wheel to a taller tire wheel combination you are also changeing the steering geometry, specificly the dimension known as trail. The trail dimension plays a very important part in the way the motorcycle handles. Going from a 17" wheel to a
21" is not a huge difference but it will change the axle height by 2" or 1/2 the distance from 1 wheel to the other. Although the difference is not enormous it will feel different. You can either live wth the difference or add lowering springs to the front end to return the bike back to the stock steering geometry. Or as you said you could add a taller tire to the rear. Putting a taller rear tire on the bike will most definately change the center of gravity and most likely have a larger effect on the bikes handling than only adding the taller front tire.

THe other consideration is the asthetic one. By adding the taller front tire without the lowering springs the lower frame rails will no longer be parralel with the ground, and the bike will look a bit "jacked up" not a look I personaly like, but there are tons of bikes out there sportin that look. Sounds like you have your mind made up, jst thought I'd chime in a point out a thing or to you may not have considered. Good Luck with what ever you decide, and enjoy your time in the wind.

Thanks for the good information Midnight. And yes Im going for the 21" wheel. Also what is a good tire to install, I currently have a michelin scorcher and I love this tire but they dont make anything bigger than 80/90/21 and I would like to go for the 100 or 110/90/21. Or what is a good tire size for the 21x2.15 wheel?

Sorry, not as "UP" on my tires asI should be, I will say this however, I one of the folks that thinks you shouldnt mix and match tires. It's best to keep the same brand and series within a brand on both front and rear.

Back