21 wheel change

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by spartacus55, Jan 3, 2010.

1. spartacus55

spartacus55 Active Member

i'm thinking of swapping out my front wheel on my 07N RK from stock 16" to 21". Do i have to change or modify the front fender and if anyone out there has done this what are the basic costs of swapping out fender and replacing it with a narrower fender to accomodate the new narrower front tire and wheel. ie; fender mouinting brackets paint etc. And is changing the fender really necessary?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
  2. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

I like the look.Seems more and more people are going that route.Sure the handling will change but not that drasticaly.Ive owned a 96 FXSTS springer for many years.If you compair it to a springer classic the 1 true difference is one has a skinny front tire and the other a fat front tire.

I have a buddy who owns a springer classic and the reality is my skinny tired springer outhandles his in virtualy every way.

Harley Davidson Road King Chrome Wheels - RC Components, Inc
  3. dhorne

dhorne Active Member

I have a skinny front tire on my 96 fxstc and found it followed every groove , I then changed out the front tire from dunlop to Metzler and it made a world of difference , maybe my Dunlop was bad but it only had 9000 klm's , got me to believe it was the tires and i am sold on metzlers for this , I am in the middle of doing this to my electraglide , I will let you know the outcome as the electraglide seems to follow grooves a little
  4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Wife rides a dyna wide glide with a 16" front wheel and i ride a softail custom with a 21" front wheel the softail has a much quicker resoponse than the dyna which feels much heavier in the handling department
    A wide glide front fender may fit your bike and work with the 21" front wheel