free website stats program 20k service- what should I pick up? | Harley Davidson Forums

20k service- what should I pick up?

RideTheLightning

Hey guys, just started going through what needs to get done for the 20k service. I was just wondering what I need to pick up. What I can remember off the top of my head is:

-Brake fluid
-Fork oil
-Engine oil
-Oil filter (planned on k&n)
-Transmission/ primary oil
-Spark plugs
-Air filter (had planned on using a k&n)

I was gonna use MMO for one of the quarts of engine oil.

Do I need anything else? Do I need a lift in order to do any of this?

Thanks guys. I will be going shopping later. :D

1st item would be a shop manual. It will give the items needed for properly performing a 20k service. What about lubing and checking steering stem bearings???? A jack would be needed to check stem bearing adjustment.
Highly recommend using a O.E. Harley oil filter....... Is K&N air filter just filter or a Stage 1 assembly???

1st item would be a shop manual. It will give the items needed for properly performing a 20k service. What about lubing and checking steering stem bearings???? A jack would be needed to check stem bearing adjustment.
Highly recommend using a O.E. Harley oil filter....... Is K&N air filter just filter or a Stage 1 assembly???
Perhaps I haven't looked enough, but I have found the chart with the servicing schedule. Just wondering if I missed anything (missed that stem bearing adjustment). Looks like I'll have to get that done elsewhere as I do not have a lift.

k&n filter looks to be just a filter:

HD-1388 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Too much MMO. I wouldn't go more than 1/2 pint myself added to the oil.

Here's the schedules for servicing...

Harley Davidson Community
Thanks for the link. I just remember reading the MMO bottle... obviously not MOCO recommended but eh...

Thanks guys.

I ordered a couple things.

I keep looking at my service manual and my bike and for the life of me I cannot figure out where the grease fitting is to put neck bearing grease. I think it's a combination of me being a dummy and the manual not having a good visual, but I don't see it. :(

Do I really need a lift to grease this thing?

I ordered a couple things.

I keep looking at my service manual and my bike and for the life of me I cannot figure out where the grease fitting is to put neck bearing grease. I think it's a combination of me being a dummy and the manual not having a good visual, but I don't see it. :(

Do I really need a lift to grease this thing?

Look under greasing steering neck bearings. Not sure if Sporties have a grease fitting. It may entail disassembly and cleaning then lubing bearings and reinstalling....

Greasing if fitting is there does not need lift..

This link may help: grease fitting in frame neck - Harley Davidson Community

Back