free website stats program 2014 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 Street Glide

DEW63

Is there a safety switch in the clutch handle my brand new street glide most of time will only start in neutral. This seems to just start happening only had bike about a month now. its been about the last week this started happening has 600 miles on it

Yes there is a safety switch behind the clutch lever (at least '07-'13 has it). It is a little black button that can be seen with a flashlight. Did you change levers?

Hers's what my 2014 Street Glide owner's manual (page 58) says about the clutch:

"The vehicle can be started in any gear as long as the clutch lever is pulled in. If the clutch is not disengaged, the vehicle will not start when in gear."

There is no mention of a safety switch for the clutch lever in that section of the manual but I will look through the H-D service manual wiring diagrams to see if there is a safety switch. Will get back to you soon.

UPDATE: There is a "clutch switch" in the wiring diagram. Must be the clutch safety switch.

Hope this helps.

Does not sound right to me for it would be a royal pain to have to start bike in neutral all the time. Try to work clutch lever numerous times before starting. It seems that the system is not getting the signal that clutch is pulled in.

So when you try to crank it outside of neutral, does it hobby-horse or just nothing happens. I'm wondering if your clutch is out of adjustment. One way or another it should be covered under warranty.

Back