free website stats program 2014 FLHX is Very Intimidating | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2014 FLHX is Very Intimidating

I would bet that with the infotainment system and the can bus network that removing the fuse is essential to not blow out any systems or modules.....

The lock removal instructions in my '07 s.m. say the same. "Remove fuse and turn to fork lock position". It's not necessary to have them in the lock position. If you leave the forks locked, it makes many of the things you want to do difficult with them turned. There was a thread about this a while back, and I THINK the reason for the lock position, is that the slots for the fork lock and the slots for the ignition, get misaligned if the forks are turned without the switch, making reassembly difficult. I think there are more articles in self help and Youtube.

Last edited:
This video seems to explain a few extra details why you need to put the switch in the fork lock position first and a nice homemade tool to assist you.

Harley Ignition switch removal from a 2009 Street Glide - YouTube
I removed my ignition switch to take off the faring lower faceplate and have a $23000 boat anchor!
While off the fork locked and it went down hill from here. I tried everything to get this thing to unlock. I eventually removed the switch housing entirety!! I finally lined up all of the tumblers but can't get the thing to turn off lock mode! I had a very difficult time installing the shaft fully into the ignition switch. The only option Ii have it to turn the tumbler shaft 180, go get a new switch, jump off a bridge. I tried screw drivers home made tools etc it does not work. I found that when you are turning the shaft when it's not fully engaged you chew the crap out if the inside if the switch housing... Any assistance would be appreciated.
WAP.gif

Back